Surgery

• 4 replies
  • 482 subscribers

Hi

I am new to the group and thought I’d tell you how I got on yesterday when I had my surgery. I had a round block mammaplasty, rather than a lumpectomy, as my surgeon advised I would get a much better result. It basically means cutting around the aerola, removing the lump,and then moving the tissue around to fill the gap. So, just a scar around the nipple and no divet at the top of my breast, which is where the lump was. Surgery took just over three quarters of an hour. I can have the other breast tweaked in the future if there is much of a difference between the two. The surgery went well and I had only a little pain when I came round. They gave me painkillers and told me to take paracetamol and ibuprofen when I got home. I thought I might be a bit sleepy but didn’t even sleep at all last night. Don’t know why, I was able to sleep on both sides quite comfortably. Today it hurts a bit more but only with movement, so not as bad as I thought it might be. . All of the staff at the hospital were really nice. I get the results in two to three weeks at Out Patients. Fingers crossed, although a bit worried that they’ve put on the discharge letter ‘malignant neoplasm of breast’. Not sure if they can tell from the surgery? Anyway good luck to everyone.

• Similar to me, I had all lymph nodes out as well. They must know what they look like by now. I just knew, at my first appt when they said suspicious mass. 1 yr down the line and feeling much better. They are good at this is all I will say. Nerve wracking waiting though, but we are still luckier than theTada rest if the NHS. Xx Best of luck with all your results. 
    • I just received my date for my lumpectomy, take lump away and lymph nodes, so glad you feel OK after, was worried that I would be in pain, just hope I will be OK 
  • Hope you feel ok too. I’m really comfortable at the moment. Good luck with everything.

• Yes, nervous about getting results and whether I’ll need radiotherapy.. And we are luckier. I didn’t have to wait for long after my mammogram before I had the surgery. So glad you are feeling much better.