Got my diagnosis on Monday

• 9 replies
  • 450 subscribers

I found a lump 4.5 weeks ago. I found out on Monday that I have a grade 2 invasive lobular carcinoma - I was originally told it was 9mm but after I had an MRI on Tuesday I was told that it was in fact 33 mm. I’ve got my pre op next week and have been given tentative dates for surgery to have a lumpectomy the week after. 
I feel like im in a dream. The word cancer is so scary. 
I’ve lost control of my life.. 

On the plus side, the care and the speed in which I’ve been seen has been incredible. Everything is happening so fast. 
I joined here to to try and share experiences and normalise the terminology. 

• Hi, sorry you have found yourself on this site, its not one we ever wont to join. In saying that there are many people here who can help or just listen if ever needed. I can see in the last 4.5 weeks you have had to take in a lot of information very quickly and it must all be a bit of a shock. Yes the word cancer is scary and its all very early days so everything is just a blurr at the moment. We all have felt like you and it is perfectly normal to feel this way. When you know what is happening next, what your treatment plan is, and when it all starts you will feel so much better. Its the not knowing that gets inside your head and we are all capable of thinking the worse. I have been on this journey for 20 years now and through new medicines i am still here. There will good days and bad days, and you will cry, scream, and shout and so you should i did. I wish you all the best going forward in your treatment they know what they are doing so breath and take each day as it comes and also plan some nice days out with family and friends because if they can see you are getting there they wont worry quite as much all the best Dawn

• Thank you for responding, for your kind words and for sharing your experience. It’s very reassuring! 

it feels like I’m on a treadmill. I was just reading a post about ‘waiting’.. I’m so impatient but I think I’m going have to get used to it! 
    X

• I have lymph gland (small lump) & breast (38mm lump)  grade 3 invasive.. it's only been 7 weeks, so I really understand.

I felt 'in limbo' and numb because everything has been in such a short space of time.  Each week waiting on results strangely felt like 'months'.

On the upside, my chemo journey starts next week & potentially an operation next year.

The main thing I  take from all the paperwork is 'curative' and from my CT scan, it hasn't spread.

I'm sorry you have Cancer too.  

You may find, for additional information, the CANCERactive website, Chris Woollams (Rainbow Diet)..  

I am lucky enough to have a Homoeopath guiding me through.  If you do have an operation, you may want to try Bellis Perennis (for the shock to the body) & Arnica (for bruising) tablets.  

Sending hugs and best wishes for your Cancer journey.

• Thank you for sharing your story and also for your kind words. 
    I am really interested in the alternative side of things. Up to now I don’t take meds for anything except HRT which I had to stop immediately. 
    I am thinking of finding a homeopath locally. I’ve been told that I may have to take a ‘tablet’ for 5 years. Are you taking this tablet? 

• Hiyer, I will find out about my complete drug regime on Monday.. I do know I am having Chemo & Immunotherapy.. (3 different drugs intravenously), but that's about it.

I would definitely recommend you talk to a Homoeopath, mine is supporting my kidneys & liver... 

Another tip.. Castor Oil.  Put drops onto a large plaster & place in the area of your liver, wear overnight, once per week.  It helps the liver release the toxins.  It can make the skin itch in random areas (but only briefly), however the skin being our biggest organ, it means it's also detoxing too.  A homeopath will guide you through this too if you decide to try it.

Keep well 

X

• Thank so much for all the advice.. I’ve been taking milk thistle and lots of vitamin c so hopefully that will also help. Good luck on Monday! X

• Thank you

Keep well

Best of luck with your Cancer journey

x

• Dear Jacster

Please do everything your oncologist asks you to. Neither the NHS nor Cancer Research UK recommend homeopathy and there is no evidence that it acts as anything other than a placebo ["There is no scientific evidence that [homeopathy] it can prevent or treat cancer."]. The one thing they do know a lot about is breast cancer. 

Please do be careful of Chris Woollams and the CancerActive website [some truth and a lot of nonsense]. Your medical team will have your best interests at heart, do check everything out with them first! It is a terrifying and difficult time but I am [so far] a survivor!!!

Warm wishes and best of luck to you.

• Just to clarify for anyone reading the thread and my previous comments, in reference to the Homeopath & Chris Woollams information, these are as additional information / resources using side by side with the Oncologist, not to replace

I have not / will never suggest any qualified Oncologist / Consultant be replaced or their advice ignored.  

In respect of Chris Woollams, changing diet has actually helped me.   (I have not followed The Rainbow Diet completely, but used as guidance.  For example, removing as much dairy and stimulants such as caffeine for example).  Which I discussed with my consultants.

Homeopathy in my case is being used to treat and assist the symptoms such as bruising and healing, supporting liver and kidneys etc.  My Homeopath is registered and consults with others and does her research.  In my case the long term damage of all the chemicals being pumped into my system was a concern. It may not be something you consider valuable, but I have chosen to have alternative therapy (Homeopathy) to support me through this awful disease and hope it may be helpful to others who wish to add a Holistic approach to their treatment.

I am glad you are a survivor and wish you well.