Ductal Carcinoma In Situ grade 3

• 9 replies
  • 485 subscribers

Hi all Blush 

I'm new to the forum and looking to hear others experiences similar to mine. Here we go ... over 2 years ago I was diagnosed with the BRCA1 gene and knew straight away I wanted preventative surgery.Huggingo I got the ball rolling well I thought it wouldn't be too long , but here I am recently diagnosed with ductal carcinoma in situ grade 3 3 cm . It caught up to me before I got to prevent. I'm havingHuggingurgery on the 26th of October, full mastectomy straight to implants. When I found out I was very calm but I'm starting to think that was shock as it's only been 3 weeks , I'm having palpitations, viHuggingd dreams, one minute I want to panic cry because it feels real then the next I'm pretending everything is okay . My biggest worry is ... has it travelled to the lymph nodes has it gone somewhere elsHugging. The team have told me that it's very unlikely to have travelled to the nodes but my negative nelly side tells me different. I'm having a bad day with thinking the worst . I just need to know has aHuggingone been in the same situation and it has travelled? What happened then ? Also positive stories aswell. I just needed to offload, I find that when ppl find out you have cancer , all you get told is Huggingu got this , stay positive, you will be fine . Yes we have to stay positive but yes we are allowed crap days where no it's not okay , I'm frustrated. I have 3 children my eldest is 13 . They know buHuggingI don't think they completely understand which I'm glad of . Anyways, hello Hugging And hope you don't mind me off loading xx

• Hi.  Sorry you’re going through this.  It’s such a shock when you’re diagnosed and every time you wait for an appointment or the result if a scan or a test it’s really worrying and stressful.  I think for me the not knowing is the worst.  It’s hard to distract yourself and take your mind off but if there are nice or fun things you can plan then it helps.  I’ve had good days and some bad days when the tears just come and I can’t stop them.  You will make your way through this.  This forum is a good place to find support and others who will share your experience.  My kids got on with their own little lives too which I also was very glad about.  At least you can deal with your own feelings without having to worry too much about them.  Hang in there because you wiki find your way through.  X

• Hi  

Sorry you find yourself here courtesy of your DCIS, but it's great that you have found this forum.

I had DCIS grade 3 - 2 x areas totalling 54mm.  I also had an IDC (invasive ductal carcinoma) of 15mm grade 2.  The DCIS is classed as stage 0 because it hasn't yet turned into cancer - so that is the very good news.  Even if it has spread, then it's still non invasive.  Despite having such a large area (80mm removed from my breast), I was still only grade 1.   My treatment depended on the IDC which was ER+, so I didn't need chemotherapy (phew!) and DCIS is treated the same.  Even if it has spread you would 'just' have radiotherapy as it is classed as non invasive. Radiotherapy, for me, was pretty easy - I know some people do suffer and I had a few burns from it, but I didn't get the fatigue.  I drank loads and loads of fluids and I'm sure this is what prevented the fatigue - based on the other 4 ladies I went to radio. at the same time as.  2 of us drank lots and the other 2 who didn't, suffered badly with fatigue.  They tell you to drink lots and I am convinced it made such a difference.  I had 15 sessions over 3 weeks and as a treat, we went away on trips every weekend when I had my weekends off - I seemed to have as much, if not more energy than normal!

I was diagnosed at 51 with my first ever mammogram and I am now 57 with no reoccurrence.  In fact, in June this year I was signed off as going back to the 3 year mammogram, so I hope this is a good news story that you are looking for.

And yes, your'e right about what people say!  I think when I was diagnosed I just heard the word cancer and thought 'that's it! and it's probably the same as what other people think - just come out with platitudes because they just don't know enough about it.  Breast cancer is so treatable these days that in the end I just talked myself into thinking about it as 'just another type of illness that I had to get over'.  This worked eventually and as each clear mammogram passed, I found that I thought about it less and less.  Initially every day when I woke up I thought about having cancer and now, apart from the scar and dented breast, I barely think about it at all now.

Hope this helps and best of wishes with your treatment.

Lesley 

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you for your reply I'm feeling much more positive today . Just going to focus on each appointment step by step . It's like you say it's the not knowing isn't it . I ca be really positive then I will have a negative thought and think of my word and have a little panic . Then talk myself round . It's mentally drawing more than physical I'm finding. Hope you're well chick and than you for your response x

• Totally relate to that.  I’m used to being in control of my life and I can’t control this.  I know that there is counselling available and am thinking about it.  It might help me to talk through my feelings.  I don’t vent on friends or family because I don’t want to upset them.  I’ve never had counselling and wouldn’t know where to start.  

• You know reverse psychology can work too. You don't always have to be positive. When I found a lump last October everyone said be positive it won't be serious and boom it was cancer. Had op and oncotype test recommended to decode treatment poss chemo. Again everyone saying be positive won't need chemo and boom chemo was recommended. So when it came to dealing with chemo hubby and I decided to be negative - chemo was going to be awful I was going to have every side effects going. And while not pleasant it was nowhere near as bad as we prepared for. 

Take care xx

• I’ve been reluctant to say this but I agree.  I’ve been so positive and feel it backfired.  Now I’m taking it one step at a time, one treatment at a time and feeling my way.  There is something to be said for preparing ourselves.   

• Most definitely. Hugs to you

• Hi , I just wanted to hop on and give an update... I had my bilateral mastectomy straight to implants back in October. Had nipples removed. And lymph nodes tested . I've healed well physically but still getting used to my new body . My results came back that although they had said it was dcis I had a very small area that was invasive. Fortunately no lymph nodes involvement. I'm now taking tamoxafin for 5 years and hopefully having my ovaries removed soon . Thank you for your comments back then . Hope you're all doing well. Sending hugs

• So good to hear.  Good news that the lymph nodes were clear.  What a relief.  I’m on hormone therapy too for five years.  Just started about a week ago.  But also the antibody treatment and further chemo because there was some residential disease and a tiny spread to one of the lymph nodes.  It’s been a rollercoaster few months to be honest but I feel better now.  I finish the current chemo in July and it’s every three weeks which is so much easier than weekly.  I hope the next surgery goes well.  Love xxx