Walking back to Happiness

• 10861 replies
  • 420 subscribers

Well. Welcome to this thread.

You may be surprised why it is here or happy it is here. Then again: ‘You have got to be joking! Do you know what is wrong with me?’ may be your response.

This all began on the Extreme Fatigue thread. On there several people wanted and needed inspiration/incentive to get out and walk. Many people see the benefits of it in their life and to help on this; mad journey, train ride, rollercoaster ride and other positively rude words journey called Breast Cancer.

It is not a thread created to make anyone feel less than they do at present. It is not a thread that will set people against one another. Being competitive with yourself or a simple challenge to yourself is the point, but not a race against others is a key premis.

The idea is that you can do any of these or none:

1. Post when you have walked.
  2. Post how many minutes you walked for.
  3. Post how you felt before, during or after. Or not at all.
  4. Post pictures from your walk, but ones that do not point to where you live.
  5. Post inspirational quotes, thoughts or comments.
  6. A simple like of people’s efforts is fine. No need to write an essay unless you feel the need.
  7. On a safety note. Do tell friends, family or the thread when you leave and return safely. Be aware of your personal safety at all times.

Well here goes.

Either it will grow and blossom, with lots of lovely people benefiting. Or I will have egg all over my face – not for the first time in my chequered life and career.

Leolady – may be adding in the odd gallop to my walks.

PS if you don't like us don't be cruel.

• I’ve just been out for my mile in the woods. It was gorgeous I wish I could capture the smell in a photo 

• Yes,  I ,too noticed the smell the other day…it is lovely and woods are lovely to walk through xI was walking thro the park and the children were being taught under the spreading tree,some local history in the sunshine.They were very little and it was a lovely sight.

• Beautiful    can almost smell that fragrant  cow parsley!! Wink

• My weekly walk round the waterpark was in glorious sunshine. Briefly saw Mr and Mrs swan plus cygnets, also some goslings and some big ducklings. With the new knee brace I was walking much better, though still very slowly.

Onwards and flatwards (don't do hills) and keep walking if you can!

• Lovely to see their young. A leg brace sounds like a serious support. Does it help? I know someone who needs a need replacement. She's paid for one and waiting for the NHS for the other. 

Christine x

• Aren’t they lovely! 

I cracked 2 miles yesterday - first time since august I think. Some friends were doing a 6 mile walk with lunch in a pub, so I joined them for lunch and the last 2 miles. I’m ridiculously pleased with myself. 

I only took two pictures - we went past a farm with either 6 or 7 (the jury is out on the number) labradors lying in the sun. Not one of them batted an eyelid at 15 of us walking past - least of all this one lying in the road 

And the sink in the pub loo

This week I definitely feel like I’m making progress 

•   glad the new leg brace works…what kind is it?

loving your quirky photos…and I LOVE labs!So calm and loving.

I will find a nice photo for today…  watching Father Ted repeats recently,instead of the horrid old news,and it is just so funny!!We forget that laughter is one of the best medicines.Xxx

• I love Father Ted, some absolute howlers. I am about to start watching some episodes too, it’s been on my watch list for ages but I was doing ER in its entirety (a bit of a slog!) 

• Lovely pics. It’s been a bit chilly here as there’s lots of cloud cover. I’ve started daily exercise this week. I’m going to Tai Chi on a Tuesday and am doing Pilates and yoga at home. I’m sticking to beginners, short sessions and gradually building up. I may try the Hatha yoga in the village hall to see how I get on in a structured session again. 

Good to hear your walking has improved with a knee brace   I need to be proactive and email GP regarding my painful foot. I need to address new footwear but wonder if I might need an orthotic insole and would like some professional input. “Shy bairn’s get nowt”. 

“ The only constant thing in life is change “

• Yes  the knee brace really helps. I have had one knee done and the other needs doing. I got a hamstring injury on top of that and saw a chiropractor. My knee would not straighten. I have been doing my exercises and it is much improved. The chiro sold me his spare knee brace. It is the best in the market. You need advice to get the correct one and right size. Xx

Onwards and flatwards (don't do hills) and keep walking if you can!