Can anyone tell me what colonoscopy is really like?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 25 replies
  • 130 subscribers

Can anyone tell me what colonoscopy is really like, have read the horror stories on the internet and am now terrified of the pain during and after. Also does anyone know if it can be done in a different position other than laying on your side as I am unable to do this due to it causing chest pain. I always have to sleep on my back.  

• Hi Jackie

Welcome to the forum

I am sorry you are so worried about having a colonoscopy.  I've had three.  Its not as bad as you think.Yes on occasions things can go wrong like with any medical procedure, but these are very rare.

You will be given sedation to help you relax prior to having the procedure,

I understand that on rare occasions you can have a general anaesthetic.

Take care,

Lynne

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Jackiejames,

Just popped over from the womb cancer group hope no one minds. I have had two colonoscopy's as I am at risk from bowel cancer because I have a family history of it and have lynch syndrome. I have gas and air for mine as I cannot have sedation as you need someone to bring you home afterward But they do give sedation if you have someone with you if you wont it. some people have both sedation and gas and air. I always have mine on my side ,  Hope this helps love and hugs and good luck for your upcoming colonoscopy.

love and hugs xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi thanks for reply. Did you have to lay on your side, Im unable to do that. 

How long did it take. 

I havnt been told can have gas and air just possible sedation if think need it but that cant be knocked out completely because they need to know if it hurts too much because that could mean they are likely to perforate the bowel wall. 

And also that may need to get me to move position if they cant get the scope round and then someone can press on abdomen at the same time to stop the scope bending. 

If have to change position onto back so they can press abdomen how can they move the scope because I would be laying on it.

sorry for all the questions

• FormerMember

Hi thanks for reply. 

Not been offered gas and air. Told possible sedation if i think will need it but said like you to be awake so can follow instructions if need to move position if they have trouble getting the scope round, might need to move onto back so a nurse can press on abdomen to prevent scope bending. Also they like you to be able to let know if pain gets too much because it could mean they are perforating the lining. 

If you are on your back how can they move the scope, would be laying on it. 

My problem is i am unable to lay on my side for more than a few minutes at a time as I get chest pains and then cant move or breathe properly. 

• FormerMember

Did you get any infection after any of your tests, Have been told lot of people get candidas or other infections that are hard to get rid of afterwards.

• FormerMember

Hi Jackie

I never got a infection after either of the colonoscopy's I have also had gastroscopy down throat and never got a infection. The procedure doesn't take long , my sister had to turn over so they could push on her stomach but I not had to do that . she too just had gas and air .I watched my test on the monitor first time round. gas and air is always available so you should be able to have it, also sedation if you need it Discuss your options with them . can you speak to the endoscopy department to discuss your concerns. xx

• FormerMember

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes I will speak to them. Was your sister ok after hers. Did she say how they move the scope if she was laying on it. 

Sorry for so many questions

• FormerMember

Hi Jackie,

Yes my sister was ok also after . To be honest I never  thought to ask her  about the scope when she was lying on her back when they pushed on her stomach. x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Jackie.

Sorry you have to find yourself here but you are in the right place for advice.

I'm going to be brutally honest here in describing my experience of a colonoscopy and that is to say it was pretty bad.  I was sedated but still very aware of what was happening.  Unfortunately my tumour was pretty big and it hurt me a lot as they tried to expose it by thrusting the scope ever further in.  Hubby said he could hear my screams right down the corridor!  I was sort of in an out of consciousness and not aware that I was screaming but I can remember asking them to stop.  I can also remember them saying........there it is......we've got it.

Mine was a bad experience but most people don't have that same experience so mine was maybe a "one off".  I went on to have major surgery to remove a tumour the size of a very large orange. I also had a large section of bowel and peritoneum  removed along with an ovary and 37 lymph nodes of which all tested clear.

That was almost 4 years ago and I'm still here and recent scans have shown me to be totally cancer free.  I refused a colonoscopy a year after surgery because I simply couldn't face the trauma.

BUT.......they want me to have a colonoscopy now but I still can't face it so I've asked for a virtual colonoscopy which is what will happen in January 2018. 

Virtual colonoscopy is still fairly new and expensive and involves scanning.  I will have to have a tube inserted into my rectum so that they can blow me up like a balloon and I will have to move my body into different positions while the scans take place. There will be people there to help me to change positions but the whole process will be a lot less invasive and traumatic then a colonoscopy.  The downside is that if polyps or tumours are spotted then a colonoscopy will have to happen after all.

My colonoscopy was followed up with a barium enema which was equally traumatic....and I'd previously experienced a digital examination and a sigmoidoscopy so it's no wonder that I fear any further attention to that area of my body!  I'm not looking forward to the bicycle pump up my rear end in January but I hope it's a better experience that my previous examinations!

Maybe you could enquire about the possibility of a virtual colonoscopy for yourself?  You must bear in mind though that if it shows anything up then you might also need a "normal" colonoscopy.    I wish you the best of luck whatever happens but please remember that most people are fine with a colonoscopy and the staff performing this procedure will do everything they can to make sure that you are comfortable.

Everybody's experience is different and whereas it's natural to be worried and scared you will be able to stop the procedure at any point should you feel that you can't continue. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Colonoscopies are a very routine practice and the number of people who experience any pain is probably about 1 in 100. Please don't be put off by stories on the web or other folks' difficult experiences; although unfortunate, they are in a very small minority. The only unpleasant aspect I would say was the amount of gas that needs to be expelled after the process! Compared to everything else I've been through over the last few years they're a piece of pish!

Best wishes
    EdP