So many questions

• 7 replies
  • 177 subscribers
  1. Hi, Diagnosed with colon cancer after an emergency operation to move a blockage, the cancer was found, cut out and also found in two lymph nodes also removed. Completely unexpected as all screening had been clear and no symptoms  experienced about from one week's diarrhea and vomiting.  So very shocked. I'm now undergoing a course of chemotherapy,  infusion and tablets,but been informed by the pharmacist not to take any supplements etc containing folic acid. As a  ileostomy patient and stoma owner I'm unable to eat high fibre or normal fibre diet so white bread, rice and corn cereal. eggs are a staple for.me  and help.manage and thicken my stoma output . All of which have folic acid. I've left a message requesting further information re my diet and folic acid with the health team. But in the meantime any knowledge from this community would be very welcome. Thank you.
  • Hi  and a warm welcome to the board. As I understood it I was advised not to take any supplements like vitamin tablets without checking with the chemo team first but I would have thought it was ok as part of your normal diet? Hopefully your tea will come back to you shortly to clarify.

Have you looked at the Ileostomy colostomy board too - lots of tips and advice there.

Ileostomy, colostomy and stoma support 

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hi  

My mum was told to limit folic intake during treatment and that was a long time ago . Especially for large bowel cancer chemo . We were told it can interfere with chemo and how effective it can be including tolerance.

She had some green veg etc but was told not too much . We just used a common sense approach.

Take care ,

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi there, you sound similar to me but I'd had the severe abdo pain and vomiting for many months before eventually getting hemicolectomy as had blockage too. Surgeon found tumour which was removed like yours and also 18 lymph nodes, histology confirmed 3 had cancer so had to have 3 months chemo Infusion, which finished in June. Did the surgery leave you with the stoma? I was so lucky they managed a 'complete resection ' with no stoma required but was so unwell would have taken 10! Do you also have the additional diagnosis of 'extramural lymphatic invasion ' due to LN involvement? I'm struggling with that currently regarding prognosis as don't fully understand and trying so hard not to Google anything!

Can't help re the supplements but just ask everyone involved as if you're anything like me   while going through the chemo the 'chemo fog' is tough as don't retain much apart from getting through each day! Still struggling with that after chemo which is apparently common. Wishing you strength and healing to come xx

• Hi, thanks  for the reply,from other responses and talking  with a nutritionist I think as others have said it's ok to eat your regular diet but no supplements but I'll be checking with hhe pharmacist in the week,  thanks again 

• Hi, thanks for the reply,  I'm following a low fibre diet   bland and beige  essentially,  it has amazed me how much and in which food folic acid is to be found. Hope your mums doing ok

• Hi, thanks for the good wishes and yes new to chemo, I do have a stoma but no discussion with the clinical team regarding  its future. I'm not sure if Ive the diagnosis 'extramural lymphatic  invasion " tbh. I couldn't quite believe the operation,  stoma and diagnosis! I thought a gastric complaint, maybe food poisoning, so it's been way more of a learning curve than I want. Hoping  for you that although the chemo and chemo fog is tough you make a good recovery.  Thanks

• Yes ,understand some stomas can be reversible , they are so important but yet another thing for you to get your head around in all of this. Totally empathise re your disbelief to be having surgery , then stoma and all that entails and then the diagnosis we never imagined would be ours, but here we are. I'm some way down the line from you as had surgery Jan this year, then the shock diagnosis,  bit of time to recover from the hemicolectomy then the chemo which was tough. But, I can say that once that's over, you do start to feel/ have some normality again, though as my oncology nurse said once " you'll never again be the person you were before cancer" & that's true try as I might! I'm now still 'foggy' from chemo effects which can take some time to clear I'm told, but back to work and trying hard to be more of a 'present' mother to my 2, the effect on them has been huge & yet another worry, but we keep moving forward.  Sincerely wish you all the best and keep in touch, this is a great resource I'm already finding as can feel so isolating & loved ones support is great but we're mindful of it being too much of a focus after a while!. Take good care xx