Just about to Start Treatment

• 2 replies
  • 177 subscribers

Just had my date for my operation for rectal cancer- Wed. 8th October - to say tat I'm a little nervous is an understatement!  I'm 68 years old & never had an operation before - the only time I've been in hospital was 25 years ago, when I was diagnosed with diabetest  So this is a bit daunting, and something beyond my experience. So far, the NHS has been excellent, very human, which surprised me a little. Only gripe was having to travel to 3 different hospitals for tests, scans etc, Stroud, Gloucester & Cheltenham - one of the problems of lving in a rural area!

Dave

• Hello 56Dave,

I was in much the same boat as you: diagnosis; age; Type 1 diabetes; rural area, etc. I was previously in hospital in 1958 to have my tonsils out. It's quite natural to be nervous about surgery, but I took strength from watching the TV programmes showing detailed surgery for much more dangerous procedures and then seeing the patient a few hours later sitting up in bed! Never forget that the colorectal team is there to help, not harm you. Just go with the flow and follow the advice the experts give you. The anaesthetic is miraculous and the next thing you know is being revived and being asked if you have any pain at all. If you have then it will be dealt with quickly. Post-surgery don't strain yourself until your inner being tells you that the healing process is complete (it took me about twelve weeks). It's all very well the surface wounds healing quickly but inside a lot more disturbance took place and you can't see that. Click on anyone's name here and you might find a summary of their own experiences.

Do let us all know how you get on.

Dulac

• Hi Dave, I was in the same position as you, nearly two years ago.  To be honest it is the waiting, and the thinking about it that is the worse, you mind is all over the place, fearing the unknown.  OK the operation is not pleasant, but not as bad as what I thought.  It also takes time to recover.   I am an impatient person and very active and hated not being able to do what I used to, but of course it takes time.  I do not know whether you had radio/chemotherapy beforehand?  I had to go every day for 5 weeks, so I think that also weakened me a bit.  I also felt I would never be my old self again, but of course that was not true either.  I had to have a stoma, but you may not have to, but if you do I can also say that I do not find it a problem one bit.  I am sure your operation will go really well, its not too long now, try and take your mind of it if you can.  Wishing you all the best for the 8th.