Treatment starting on Thursday

• 5 replies
  • 179 subscribers

Hi 

I am new on here. I was diagnosed with stage 2 rectal cancer on the 24th of July. Although I was told on 14th July, the day of my colonoscopy that it was cancer. There was lots of talk about me probably needing a colostomy due to wher the tumour is. But after my CT scan it was decided that I should have chemo and radiotherapy, hoping for a cure . This will take place 5 days a week for 5 weeks.This is starting on Thursday and although I am glad that it is finally happening I feel very scared. All these fears keep reading their ugly heads! What if it doesn't work? What if they haven't got my diagnosis right? What if the treatment makes me too poorly? What will happen to me after the treatment ends? I know it is daft and that i am im the best possible hands but it is so scary.

• Hi I’m new just being diagnosed with lung cancer had first treatment Wednesday daughter moved out to university today feeling don’t know how I am feeling 

• Hi Marie 

This must be very dificult for you having your daughter going off to university just when you are going through so much. But it is right that she should go. For all we are going through life doesn't stop for them. My son and daughter in law and grand daughter have lived with me for 5 years and last year they bought a house which they have been doing up and are due to move this week. At one point I did very out that I didn't want them to go yet. But I know it is right that should carry on as planned. I have been a widow for 13 years but this will be the first time I will live completely alone. I know I will be ok and I know I will get through this and you will too. But I get that you don't know how you feel. Sometimes I feel nothing at all almost void then other times fear.

I wish you well with your treatment xx

• Hi Sparkler,

It is scary, especiallyI find, if I get into 'what if' thinking. The only way I can manage the uncertainty is by taking each day at a time. 

I'm just over two weeks post op and not making as much progress as I had hoped. Patience, I'm finding, doesn't come easily.

Wishing you well on Thursday. Stock up with some good novels if you can and try not to think too far ahead.

Sending hugs xx

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the board. Chemoradiotherapy is a very effective way of shrinking the tumour - mine shrank from 4mm to 1mm and some people have also had a complete response where the tumour has been completely obliterated.

The chemotherapy is a mild dose in tablet form and enhances the effect of the radiotherapy. It will continue to work for several weeks after the 5 week treatment and then you will be scanned to check the effect. The next step will depend on the results but cross that bridge when you get to it. 

I’ve attached a link to a post that we started several years ago about chemoradiotherapy which you might like to take a look at?

Radiotherapy care top tips ! 

Yes it is scary but we’re here to help and support you through this so please post if you’ve any worries or questions - there’s nothing too daft or embarrassing on here.

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hello SPARKLER,

The chemoradiotherapy is a worry when you have been dropped in it like this. However, I found the whole experience to be pain-free with the minimum of side effects. The worst bit was trying to find a parking space! The technology and those who work it was most impressive; just do as they tell you and relax (but stay still) as you pass through the device. It doesn't take long but get there a little earlier and be prepared to drink a few cups of chilled water if you are told to. Apparently it helps separate your internal organs and can improve the accuracy of the treatment. Once the five weeks is up you might have to wait a couple of months before any major decisions are made, but this is because the treatment continues to work - a bit like a microwave keeps cooking even though it has finished. Only then can the colorectal team see the effect and arrive at a solution best for you.

Don't worry about the future as nobody knows what that will bring, just deal with facts on a daily basis and try to carry on with your usual routine. If you feel alright then you are alright.

Dulac