Second positive FIT test

• 3 replies
  • 174 subscribers

Hi.  I had a positive FIT test 2 years ago, had a colonography which came back positive for bladder cyst but otherwise fine.  Well, I’ve just taken another FIT test and it’s positive again!  I’m advised to have a colonoscopy this time and have to admit I’m scared.  I’ve got a horrible feeling that this time I won’t be as lucky and they will find something.  I’m awaiting a date for the colonoscopy and I find myself on this page looking for answers that I know you cannot give.  I suppose I’m looking for reassurance and a touch of reality in that I want to know what happens next.

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the board. Gut feelings are horrible arent they but try to focus on the facts which is that yes you have had a positive fit test but we dont know what’s caused that yet. 

Blood in the stool can be caused by polyps, irritable bowel disease, colitis, piles but the important thing is to get it checked out. Only 1 in 10 colonoscopies results in a bowel cancer diagnosis and you will be told the findings after the procedure. The next step from there will depend on their findings so it’s hard to say what will happen next.

Hope you get an appointment through soon and please keep us posted?

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thanks Karen.  You’re absolutely right, I don’t know what’s caused it.  I’m just feeling in a bad place because it’s my second positive in 2 years and I’m looking at the odds of coming away unscathed for a second time and I’m not feeling good about them. But I will try and stay positive , thanks again

• Hi Mandy

Try not to second guess the outcome, many reasons for blood in stools, the vast majority are nothing sinister....try to stay off Dr Google as  it only causes more stress

Peter