Dysplasia

• 4 replies
  • 173 subscribers
  • Hello and happy Saturday everyone! I'm new here and wanted to ask a question. 2 weeks ago i had a colonoscopy&high grade dysplasia cells were found, which would be likely to soon become cancerous i was told. I was also told surgey to remove part of my bowel was likely Has anyone else here had dysplasia? If so, what was the outcome and how was it treated?
  • Hi Mat,

Yes I had that too. When they did the colonoscopy and found a tumour they took a small sample (a biopsy) from the surface of the tumour. That went under the microscope and they looked at how the cells are organised, or not as the case may be. The cells can be categorised as normal, low-grade dysplasia, high-grade dysplasia or cancerous. So high grade is not as bad as cancerous, just pre-cancerous. Of course this is just a sample from the surface, inside could be worse and at this stage they don't know how deep the tumour gone into the stomach wall, which is why they are suggesting surgery to remove it before it can get worse. 

In my case they also got a MRI and a CT scan, to get alternative views of the tumour and to see if there is any evidence of secondary spread away from the tumour. They also got me to do an exercise test to check if I was fit enough for surgery and whether I would be able to look after myself afterwards. They then held a Multidisciplinary Team Meeting to decide whether they would like to recommend with surgery or think they need to do anything else, such as chemo or radio therapy, instead or as well. Whatever there conclusion they will discuss whether to go ahead and what any alternatives might be with you before its scheduled.

And then I had keyhole surgery and they removed a section of my sigmoid colon and upper rectum and surrounding tissues. There is a chance that they may need to give you a stoma and stoma bag (either temporary or permanent). In my case they didn't. They check the lymph nodes in the surrounding tissues that they've removed for any sign that cancer has spread. If they find any spread they might suggest chemo or radio therapy. Mine was clear of cancer and hopefully that is that, though longer term they will continue to monitor me, including having more colonoscopies.

Anyway I'm now 5 weeks since surgery and I'm mostly feeling back to normal.

• Hi Marjolica, 

Thank you for the info, that's really helpful. One of the difficult things for me is simply not knowing what the next step might be, whether it's good or bad,  so its great to hear about your experience of it all.  I have a CT scan arranged for early next week, so I guess after that the multidisciplinary team will decide how to move forward. 

I really appreciate your help, thank you. 

MC

• Hi

I was told exactly the same. There was a bit of a debate at my mdt but my consultant said in his experience they don't take biopsies from the base and usually this is cancerous. I went ahead with the operation and was told the day after that the base was cancer. 

I've heard of people having a procedure to remove the polyp and following the biopsy had to return for the resection. It's a major operation but doable. I was walking up and down the ward two days later but you must listen to your body. I was told maybe a temporary bag but I didn't have one in the end. 

I hat ct scan and following mdt, met my consultant and was in hospital two weeks later. It's a huge relief knowing it's in the bin. 

I think it's better to have the operation and get that part of your bowel removed. 

You are going through the worst time now the waiting is horrible but when you get your plan you will feel so much better. X

• Thank you Poppy. It must have been a challenge for you going through the whole process, and I really appreciate you sharing it with me. Yes, the waiting is horrible, so it's good to know what the next steps might be for me. Good luck with it all, and thanks again.