Hello, new here and scared

• 5 replies
  • 177 subscribers

Hello everyone

My name’s Sue and I’ve just found out that my recent bowel screening was abnormal.  I had my appt with the screening practitioner yesterday and my colonoscopy is on Wednesday.

It’s come as a shock as I have no symptoms and so I’m hoping for the best and very scared for the worst.

Im having sedation and pain relief as I’m also having issues with my womb at the moment (never rains, but when….) and I’ve had to push a hysteroscopy back so I can have my colonoscopy as quickly as possible.

Any advice, guidance, support would be really appreciated as have decided not to share with my adult kids until I know more so just me and hubby dealing with it.

Thank you

• Hi Sue, 

there are lots of things it could be.  Less than 10% of colonoscopies identify a cancer. The prep for the procedure is worse than the procedure itself.  It’s honestly much less horrible than your head thinks it is!  

I’d say just concentrate (if you can) on what you know as a fact…. Then deal with things one step at a time if it dodd come back as something unpleasant.  

Wishing you every luck!

Cerysm

• Hi  You’ve had some excellent advice from Cerys and there are lots of things that can cause blood in the stool like colitis, piles, diverticulitis so try to distract yourself until you know what you’re dealing with (if anything) then we’ll go from there x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hello Sueh64,

A colonoscopy is a worthwhile procedure and the teams that conduct them are caring and helpful. Never be embarrassed because they are dealing with this sort of thing every day, You will often be told what findings there are (if any) shortly afterwards. Yes, the bowel prep drink is the worst part, as many here will confirm, but you must follow the instructions and not take any short cuts. The sedation does make things easier for both you and the surgeon operating the tiny camera. I have had a few and they tend to be uncomfortable rather than painful - particularly when negotiating a bend in the colon. You usually have the opportunity to watch the procedure on a monitor whilst in progress if you want to. The sedative will wear off but you won't be allowed to drive yourself from the hospital, so you will need to make travel arrangements to suit your circumstances. Colonoscopies are common procedures and you will probably find the department is busy with a constant stream of patients, all anxious to start with then happier when they get their tea and biscuits afterwards.

Best

Dulac

• Thank you so much Pray tone1