Atypical symptoms and now on my second 2wk referral in 8 mths.

• 2 replies
  • 176 subscribers

Hi everyone

I am curious to know if my symptoms resonate with anyone here who has been diagnosed with bowel cancer.  I have had bladder cancer in the past but am currently only under going investigations for bowel c. so hope no one minds me asking/posting in this forum.

So, I am on the 2wk referral for bowel cancer.  I was referred in Oct last year on the same but at that time my symptoms - of marginal weight loss and loose bowel movements - had largely resolved by the time I got to speak to the hospital (I also had a neg. FIT) and so I was offered a CT scan rather than specifically bowel c.  investigations like colonoscopy.  The CT was clear. I had also had normal endoscopy and colonoscopy in back in 2021 (at that time investigations were into RUO pain which was eventually diagnosed as gallbladder sludge and so I had cholecystectomy in March 2023) and I believe a clear colonoscopy is good for a few years? I think the fact I had cholecystectomy was a factor in their decision too as that can cause symptoms like mine even years after surgery. 

6 or more weeks ago I had the onset of the following symptoms:

* Episodes of very loud and at times quick persistent gurgling emanating from below the navel so intestines?

* Episodes of mild abdominal ache 

* Very early morning loose bowel movements (although as mentioned had this in the autumn and other periods of the same dating back 3 or more years).

I had another negative FIT, normal bloods, neg. Coeliac screen and a USS of the abdo to check ovaries etc - all normal.  Symptoms continue and so the doc has suggested referral back to colo-rectal team on two week pathway. 

I dont really know what to think or feel anymore.  I was hyper anxious in 2021 under going all the tests for what turned out to be a dodgy gallbladder and in a strange way that anxiety was ‘rewarded’ by the incidental finding of my bladder cancer (early stage, low grade:  successfully treated and currently at 3 years post TURBT I am still clear).  

Just wondered if anyone (if you have read this far) has had similar symptoms prior to diagnosis of bowel c. or other especially re. The gurgling intestines which isn’t as I understand a typical symptom of bowel cancer?  My doc wondered about SIBO.  I am now also worried re. small intestine cancer too but I understand that is much rarer than colon/bowel c.

If anyone has similar experiences and can share, I would love to hear from you.

Thank you so much for reading  this and wishing everyone a positive day whatever your situation.

Blue

• Hi  My main symptom before diagnosis was rushing to the toilet with very loose stools after my early morning cup of tea in bed. This was followed by blood in the toilet and the rest is history. As you say, gurgling intestines isn’t a general symptom but I used to find I got a lot of gurgling after drinking on an empty stomach or when lying down. It’s reassuring that your last Ct scan was clear so I’m wondering if it might be worth keeping a food and drink diary to see if anything triggers a reaction?

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hi Karen

thanks so much for taking the time to respond (I think you also responded to a post of mine last year!).  

i have actually been keeping a diary (have to as my memory is rubbish) and so far it is  difficult to identify any single food or food group although suspecting that spicy or high fat doesn’t help.

best wishes, Blue