Newly Diagnosed

• 3 replies
  • 179 subscribers

Hi all, I found out yesterday that I have colon cancer! It was a massive shock and I am reeling, as I try to take in the information. It’s very frightening. I hope sharing with fellow cancer patients brings kindness and help as we journey together. I send my heart out to everyone who is struggling on through this difficult time. Heart

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the board. I can imagine you’re pretty shell shocked at the minute and the next couple of weeks will be a flurry of scans and meetings but once you have a treatment plan in place then things will honestly feel a bit better.

Bowel cancer is notoriously slow growing but very treatable. I’ve attached a link to a booklet that I was given at my first meeting which you might find helpful?

https://bowelcancerorguk.s3.amazonaws.com/Publications/Bowel_Cancer_UK_Your_Pathway_V10.1.pdf

We’re all at different stages of treatment and recovery on here and happy to help and support you through yours. Stay away from google - it can be scary and out of date - you can ask anything you like on here and if you click on peoples names then their profile page may show their treatment to date

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hi Kathy

My Colorectal cancer came as a complete shock in 2017, routine colonoscopy detected a malignant tumour, my legs went to jelly when I was told....surreal....took a good few days to sink in....Oncology were great,  all scans done promptly, dates given quickly for pre-ops and surgery....anterior resection carried out and tumour removed....

Final colonoscopy check carried out in Dec 2022....then discharged from oncology.

It is frightening for all of us....keep posting....let us know how you are doing.

Take care and best of luck

Peter

• Hi Kathy I found in June having had emergency surgery to remove a tumour. It too was a complete shock. I’m fit and well. Just got tummy ache and next thing I knew I was being told I had cancer. 

I’m now in the midst of chemo which I find mentally as well as physically tough

take each day as it comes. Don’t be hard on yourself. It’s a whirl wind of emotions. 

this community is really friendly and helpful and good advice to stay away from google. My doctor told me only look at macmillan. 

take care