Sigmoid with Liver Mets

• 2 replies
  • 176 subscribers

Hello everybody,

I am still early on my cancer journey - at the time of writing 23/07/24 I have not started treatment. 

In April 24 I was contacted by my GP surgery asking if I was interested in being part of a clinical trial for colorectal cancer. I thought I would be doing a good thing to join up, as both my dad and granddad had it. I had no expectation that they would find something in me yet - my dad was 79 and my grandad 88 when they died. I am 53 and thought I had a few years before I needed to worry. I have no symptoms.

The colonoscopy in late May showed a tumour in my sigmoid as well as a polyp. I felt really fortunate at the time that this had been found. I was hopeful that I would have surgery, and maybe some adjuvant chemo, and that would be the end of it. The trial did an urgent referral to the NHS and I had a CT Scan which showed something on my liver. This was confirmed by an MRI and PET Scan. Eight lesions on both sides of my liver - largest about 2cm.

My next step is Chemo, but I am not sure what type because there was a problem with my immunohistochemistry (IHC). The clinical trial either didn't do it or have lost my results and a follow up sigmoidoscopy was unable to get enough of a biopsy to run the test. The only good news so far is that they thought they also saw something in my stomach, but an endoscopy (which is the worst btw - if you need one, take all the medication offered!) confirmed this was just inflammation.

Now waiting for a liver biopsy to get the IHC profile they need to understand what is best.

I am very happily married and have a young daughter (7) - yes I know I started late! I really want to think that chemo will shrink the mets to the point where surgery is possible, but I know that the odds are slim.  Trying to stay positive.

Thanks for taking the time to read - wishing you all the best.

• Hi  

Welcome to the forum . 
    The stats for a spread have slowly creeped up over the years .

Immunotherapy and other targeted treatments are now available that were not funded or some not even talked about when my mum started out . Only in the last 24 hours I have noticed a completely different clinical trial so I am still hopefully for better stats for stage four patients in the next few years . Immunotherapy was not sanctioned here until covid gave it a push along and with it opened up treatment that have completely changed peoples outcomes .

My mum took up one of the first bowel screens in our area . 15 years ago this week . A picture of health and we had been pushing wheelbarrows around her garden and she was pulling a shift so nothing prepared us for the bowel tumour or the spread to her liver . She was asymptomatic. But it was a good way to start treatment as she was in good general health . She is only becoming symptomatic now and that’s 15 years into the process , however she has had lots of treatments and surgeries etc .

Chemo did a powerful job on her liver mets and she only had bog standard chemo for two years . If you click on my user name you can read her story with the liver . I have not updated the latest lung saga as I am still cross with it coming back .

However the liver and lung spread behaved totally differently.The liver popped up quickly and grew fast however if you are chemo responsive it’s the right environment for it to work well due to the rate of cell division. Which I am not going to pretend to understand but I think the oncologist said it does its best job on fast growing tumours that are responsive . Chemo was tough for her but the scans showed her significant spread and disappeared from screen and only one small dot remained . She went to a centre of excellence for the liver and had 73% removed and it’s remained clear . Her lung spread has been extremely slow growing in comparison and been around since 2014 . What can I say !

Thats her story and she has still not reached third line treatment. She only ever used the one chemo and last year due to her age now she had ten months of a targeted treatment.

She has just become too frail to take treatment or believe you me she would have . My son was seven when she was diagnosed and 22 now . Children are a powerful motivator.

You will also see some people on the boards who are on their 7th 8 th year of continuous maintenance chemo . Keeps it at bay .

My mum got me to go and get her a pile of sympathy cards as she is losing a lot of friends lately . I could not help but see the irony ! 
    My mum is not alone . There are people I am still in contact with and they are still living good lives despite difficult diagnosis.

Obviously as you are aware not everyone gets these outcomes but we are pushing hard against the stats .

Thats such a shame the samples need redone .

However they will get you going and get this reigned in . My mum participated in a study for longevity. The guy running it actually has a spread to his liver but doing well . They are looking into the role T cells play !

Anyway long post for a welcome .

But you are very welcome .

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Thanks for the reply - so so helpful,  Wishing your mum (and you) the very best.