Rectal Cancer

• 5 replies
  • 174 subscribers

Hello everyone, 

I was recently (May) diagnosed with rectal cancer. I was told after a colonoscopy and then had to wait 5 weeks to find out the treatment that my doctors have planned for me. I did have a CT, MRI and a surgical pre-assessment in that time though. I’ve also been signed off work. 
After the MDT meeting I met and spoke to my surgeon who told me what the plan was - 5 days of radiotherapy, followed by 4 cycles of chemotherapy and then after 3-4 months he will operate. Due to the position of the tumour which is quite low down I am likely to have a stoma after the operation, which I’m ok with.  

I’ve since spoke to my oncologist (lovely man) who gave me a more precise idea of my oncology treatment plan. He said I should be able to continue driving to my radiation appointments since the side effects will be worst after treatment finishes. But I will be supplied with creams, vaginal dilators and painkillers. The chemotherapy side of things will be Oxilaplatin (IV) and Capecitabine tablets twice a day for a fortnight then I get a weeks break. I should also be able to get the IV chemo in my local hospital. 

He told me the tumour was 3cm in length and that it was stage 3 as it had gone into some of the surrounding lymph nodes but wasn’t present in any other organs. But he stressed to me that I shouldn’t focus on that as it didn’t mean anything but I should focus on my treatment, looking after myself and that’s what I am doing. 

I still haven’t actually started treatment, I have a PET scan tomorrow and then I get my radiotherapy tattoo next week. But I am hopeful that I will start treatment in the next 3 weeks. I’m in Scotland and being treated at Dundee’s Ninewells hospital. 

• Hi  

Welcome to the forum . I am in Scotland too  but not so far north .

I just want to wish you all the very best with your treatment . The only time I have ever seen my mum rest and look after herself was during treatment where she would frequently tell us she was listening to her body !

You have been given wise words from your oncologist.

Hope everything goes smoothly with your treatment.

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi, hope you're coping well mentally. It can be a real struggle. I've been on similar treatments, having 5 sessions of radiotherapy this week. It's been no bother, just a case of lyingLying face still for ten minutes. I haven't felt anything and they said I'm not likely to for a week or so. So nothing to worry about with your radiotherapy. 

The iv chemo gave me tingly hands and sensitivity to cold drinks, which got better further into the two week cycles. The chemo tablets were worse for me, or the 3 days of steroids, I'm not sure. Mainly felt tired and had mix of constipation and the other untill things settled down after a few days. 

My primary tumor is also far down and I'm also looking at a stoma at some point, but, unfortunately mine had already spread to my liver even though we got it early.

So you're not alone and there are plenty of us that are going through the same things. 

Wish you the best

Take care, and keep talking! 

• Many thanks Court, much appreciated. 

• Thank you Neilio57 - think one of my problems is I talk too much. Wink

• Hi there , hope you're doing ok, your story mirror's mine but you are slightly more into your journey than me , I go this weds for treatment plan which they said would be chemo then surgery later but I will know more on weds, the only bit I haven't looked up on is stoma I have no idea what that involves and I darent look to be honest , it would be nice to hear how your treatment goes , obvs noones is the same , take care x