Hi

• 3 replies
  • 173 subscribers

Hi everyone.  My husband has had colon cancer for just over 2 years now and it has now spread to his lungs.  He is too weak and unsuitable for any treatment so we have been referred to the Palliative care team. 

• Hi  

Welcome to the forum . My mum is at a similar stage . She is no longer able to tolerate treatment for her lung disease .

Although I have not had any contact in the community from a palliative care team . One came round the ward but no idea what they said .

Have the team been in touch with your husband ?

How are you holding up ?

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi court xx so sorry to hear about your poor Mum.  We have had our first contact with the Palliative care Team at our local Hospice.  But I had to initiate it as the referral process took so long.

I'm not doing great.  I've stopped working due to being so emotional.   I almost think I've started the grieving process already.

• Hi  

I feel for you  . I heard the term anticipatory grief and I think it’s very fitting in  this situation .

It is different when it’s your husband and the pressure of work on top of that . You have a lot on your plate . 

I personally feel once they are discharge from oncology there is a void and I have no idea what happens next or how to contact them . Apparently in the next authority they have a community nursing team who will come in and do all the work at home but it does not cover our area .

I can totally see why you had to contact them as it goes silent and we are left wondering where to go to for support . But I am glad you have managed to get some input and hope their support assists at this difficult time . 

I will send you a friends request .

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000