Ideas requested

• 2 replies
  • 176 subscribers

Hi all, 

I’m new to the forums - I'm Cerys and I was diagnosed with bowel cancer earlier this year.  It follows a very rough few months after the loss of my step-daughter who lost the final battle with her mental health in July 2023.

The diagnosis was off the back of a random fit test as I had no symptoms at all. Since diagnosis in February I had the surgery and am now on chemo.

I am lucky as there is no cancer left and this is belt and braces as I was young to have it.  However I have a blood issue which means I’m on half dose for twice as long (six months of two weeks on and one week off - Capecitabine). 

I normally like to exercise a lot to keep myself feeling good but at the moment I’m not allowed to do more than a gentle walk once a day.  Due to the blood issue I'm having quite nasty side effects so the chemo nurse said I needed to cut back as much as possible and relax alot more. I’m down in the dumps at the moment and  I feel like the last year has just whacked and whacked my family and I with a large stick.  

I have talked to my family and friends but their thinking is that the cancer is gone so to just take the drugs.  However I think the reality of the diagnosis has recently hit home. 

I'm also worried as I'm a type II diabetic and I'm not allowed to follow my low carb diet when on chemo so I'm concerned that without exercise my blood sugar with go through the roof, especially as I'm also not allowed (if possible) to lose weight. 

Having said all that, this post is not searching for sympathy, everyone on here is going through their own journey.... I’m hoping for ideas for lifting my mood (without exercise) while I manage the next few months.  

Thank you in advance for any ideas! 

Cerys

• Hi Cerys,

My initial journey was similar to your own (I am also T2D) and I found the chemo particularly hard - turned out I was allergic to Capcetibine! I have found giving something back through these forums and as a volunteer on the Bowel Cancer UK Peer Support line helps me. 

I don’t know if you played any particular sport but I found continuing in my role as a rugby coach also helped in lifting my mood. If you did play a sport consider switching to a support or coaching role - it kept me connected to the game I love through some dark times.

Lastly, and this is something I have learnt along the way - it really is good to talk. See if there are any cancer support groups near you who meet for coffee and a chat. 

Hope these pointers are helpful.

All the best.

Maninbath

• Firstly I am So sorry for the sadness your family has faced . It’s a lot in a concentrated period of time and I am always heartbroken to hear of a young person unable to endure difficult mental health issues . It’s such a complex illness . 

I can totally understand why you are feeling a bit lost at the moment .

Our helpline staff are there is you want a catch or to see about local resources that might help . 0808 808 0000

Macmillan has teamed up with Bupa to offer six free counselling sessions as they recognise its harsh at times .

My mum’s surgeon said even the most robust can become depleted . 

My mum has been a stage 4 patient for 15 years with lots of bumps along the way . We use projects . We have learnt to do so many things with a little help from You tube . Just seeing something come together really helps push her forward . It’s a bit of escapism . We adapt as required . Sometimes I do a bit sometimes she does . That can be in the house , the garden etc and something that can be gentle . Just now she is growing tomatoes and bagging braclets for charity as she is older now . When she was younger she made Christmas card , cushions , learnt to paint . Lots of things she did not know how to do before . It just lifts her mood .

She can’t make them just now but she can package them for charity .

We have had lots of fails along the way but some successes . 
    Music is apparently good for activating the T cells also .

Not sure what your own interests are but if you can find one to adapt it can just be the lift you need .

Even talking about it is a healthy start .

I do get your concern about the diabetes. Have you got a dietitian on board ?

Take care ,

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000