Rectal cancer and me

• 5 replies
  • 177 subscribers

Hi all, I’m new to this and let’s face it not wanting to be part of this group like I guess we all feel! Diagnosed 20 June and had my scans. Meeting consultant on Tuesday. I haven’t told many people and haven’t told my teenage sons until I know what I’m dealing with. I feel I have been pretending I’m fine that I feel exhausted and want to hide. I just feel lost as I never for one minute thought the issues I have had since March would be cancer. 

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the board that yes, nobody wants join but we’re glad you have! I think it’s a good idea to not tell your sons until after your meeting because then you’ll have a much better idea of what lies ahead. I was diagnosed with stage 3 rectal cancer in 2016 and they told me that they were treating me with a ‘view to cure’ which I was able to reassure family with. 

Bowel cancer is notoriously slow growing but very treatable. I was shocked too and didn’t know anyone else who’d had it when I was diagnosed but I posted on here and became friends with 2 ladies who were diagnosed at the same time and we went through it together.

Everyone on here is just starting out or going through treatment or in recovery and we’ll be happy to help and support you through the next few months. Feel free to ask anything you like - there is nothing too daft or embarrassing - and let us know how Tuesday goes?

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Karen, thank you ! Yes I’d never heard of rectal cancer before and felt so embarrassed which I know is completely ridiculous! I worry about telling my boys as that’s not how it should be. I want them to enjoy being a teen and not worrying about their mum. That’s what keeps me awake at night. Anyway I will let you know. Did you get surgery if you don’t mind me asking ? X

• Hi  Yes - if you click on my name then my profile page will show you my treatment although it’s a lot more straightforward for most people! Generally the treatment for rectal cancer is often a course of chemoradiotherapy to shrink the tumour as much as possible then surgery to remove it. 

I’ve attached a link to a booklet that I was given at my first meeting which may give you a heads up and help prepare any questions?

https://bowelcancerorguk.s3.amazonaws.com/Publications/Bowel_Cancer_UK_Your_Pathway_V10.1.pdf

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hi Dolly

I went for a colonoscopy in 2017 (age 62) expecting to be given the all clear...taken into a room with my wife and told that I had colorectal cancer....doc did not need the biopsy result....had seen it all before....he was right.

Surreal experience....felt that I was in a bad dream....Anterior resection surgery ....no chemo luckily....discharged from oncology December 2022....

If caught early enough the outcomes can be very good

Take care 

Peter

• Oh hi Peter thank you for responding. It is a scary process. Hope you are doing well now.