Tumour found this week

• 13 replies
  • 180 subscribers

Hi I am new to the forum but decided to post as the threads are very helpful and made me feel much more reassured. I had a colonoscopy on Monday and was told I had cancer straight away with the consultant describing it as sinister and around 6-8cm approx 10cm inside my colon. I am 45 with four children and immediately horrified at what my future might be and leaving my kids behind. I feel so much regret for not having been to the GP sooner as I had been having problems for around seven years with my bowel movements gradually getting more and more frequent. It wasn’t until I woke up to blood that I went to A&E  6 weeks ago and had to really push for an colonoscopy. I have had my bloods for tumour markers and CT already. MRI next week and then will see the consultant on the 9th July to find out my treatment plan. It sounds weird but since the colonoscopy I feel like I can feel the tumour but couldn’t before? Not sure if them taking biopsies aggravated things? I just want it out. But reading on here I think that sometimes people have the tumour shrunk before surgery happens? Any advice greatly appreciated. I started with Google which scared me massively, but so glad this forum exists. 

• Hi Bunny c. Firstly I'd recommend seeing a regular councillor if you're not already as some of the waiting and thoughts racing through your mind can take its toll. 

I had a similar diagnostic path and was advised to try chemo to shrink tumours first. If that's your advised path, make sure to ask why and what other options are there. Asking for second opinions is never a bad thing, and feel free to involve PALS from day one. It's a tough journey and with so many unknowns PALS can do the work for you. 

Do not blame yourself for not getting checked out sooner. Many of us will have done the same, even after knowing what to look for, no one expects it to be them. It's a common thing and we can only try to enjoy the current day and make good plans going ahead. 

Lean on your GP for things that can help in the meantime. I'm on antihistamines and antidepressants to get me through the night and having as many real people around to access at different times is a good safety net. 

Fingers crossed you hear some good news and be kind to yourself!

• Hi Bunny C. I never had any symptoms (and I’m not alone). My bowel cancer was picked up as part of a routine medical when I submitted a FIT test, so don’t dwell on not seeking advice sooner. Focus on what you know not what you don’t know. I would also second Neilio57’s advice re counselling. I have found it really is good to talk.

All the best.

Maninbath

• Thank you for your reply Neilio57 I think it would help me to talk. I’ve found it hard telling people especially my children. Trying not to dwell but this group feels like the most positive thing I’ve had so far in support. 

• Thank you Maninbath I am definitely going to look at this. Are they any particularly good counselling support for bowel cancer or just any at all? I can ask my GP.

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the board. I’m glad you’re finding it helpful and yes, it’s better to avoid google. Rectal tumours are often treated with a course of chemoradiotherapy to shrink the tumour before surgery but this will be discussed at the MDT when they decide on a treatment plan for you.

The support desk is open 7 days a week if you want to chat to someone and they can also discuss some free counselling with bupa if you think that would help?

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/get-help/emotional-help/bupa-counselling-and-emotional-well-being-support

I’ve attached a link ti a booklet that I was given at my first meeting which helps with some of the jargon and treatment available. 

https://bowelcancerorguk.s3.amazonaws.com/Publications/Bowel_Cancer_UK_Your_Pathway_V10.1.pdf

Pleaee don’t beat yourself up for not going to your GP sooner - I convinced myself that my symptoms were due to a lifestyle change and had had blood in my stools for well over a year before going to my GP. 

Lots of support on here so please keep posting and we’ll answer any questions and help you through this

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • I have bowel cancer and had no symptoms and doctors said I could have had it for up to two years - so don’t beat yourself up about it. Save your energy to get through it. You got this!

• Thank you Kareno62 these links are very helpful thank you. 

• Hi Bunny, 

I had a similar experience after diagnosis of thinking I could suddenly feel the cancer. I'd had no symptoms prior to diagnosis but after I felt it. I didn't have a colonoscopy and biopsy (long story!) to trigger it so in my case I believe I simply became aware of sensations I had been ignoring. 

In my case, I was told the tumor was too large for an effective surgery so I did radiation and chemo first to shrink it. My tumor was 12.5 cm so larger than yours. Maybe you will be able to have surgery right away. Like you, I just want this thing out of me. But thinking the tumor first gave me the best chance of success and the most important thing is to be healthy again. . That's what I told myself everyday while I was receiving treatment. 

• Hi Bunny C. In addition to the support in the link in Kareno62’s reply Bowel Cancer UK offer a peer support line where you can talk to someone with similar lived experience, of which I am one. I don’t know the full case histories of my fellow peer support volunteers but the Peer Support Line Administrator may be able to match you with someone, should you wish to contact BCUK.

All the best.

Maninbath

• Thank you to everyone. These links and suggestions are a great help.