Hello.

• 2 replies
  • 176 subscribers

Hello, 

I'm new to the site. 

I was diagnosed with stage 2 bowel cancer New Years Eve. Not the best start to 2024. I had a right hemicolectomy 26th January 

Luckily my histology was N0M0. 

What I am struggling with is my mental health. I've always been the the life and soul but I am now a shadow of my former self. 

My consultant, oncologist and the registrars are all saying everything is all very positive even though my lodger had poorly differentiated cells. My capox chemo is mop up. 

Is anyone else struggling, if so, would you be willing to share how you cope. 

• Hi  and I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had such a rotten start to the year. It’s easy to underestimate the mental aspect of cancer and it can leave almost a gap in your life once treatment finishes.

I read a book once that likened it to a solo boat trip across a rough sea. The boat (you) is battered by storms so you limp into port (hospital) where the boat is thoroughly repaired and you’re sent on your way, alone, again. However you can see dark clouds (recurrence) and don’t know if you’ll make it but the clouds pass over and as the days and years go on the weather (your health) gets better and better. 

A couple of suggestions. Have a look at the paper below that a lot of people have found heloful

https://www.workingwithcancer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/After-the-treatment-finishes-then-what.pdf

Have a look at some of the posts on the Life after Cancer page

Life after cancer forum 

Give the support desk a ring and they will have a chat with you. Macmillan is offering 6 free sessions of counselling with BUPA if you feel that might help? There may be support at your local hospital too like a Maggies centre or some offer a Moving on course?

Hope some of this helps and you’re able to find some of the old you again

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thankyou so much Heartbeat