Hello

• 2 replies
  • 176 subscribers

I had a colonoscopy on April 25th on the 2 week cancer pathway after vomiting for 6 weeks, unable to eat without terrible pain and a positive FIT test. I only had my first ever bowel cancer screening 18 months ago and it was clear so I assumed it couldn’t be cancer. Unfortunately, the colonoscopy revealed a cancerous tumour which the camera couldn’t get passed and I was told immediately it was cancer. I was admitted for emergency surgery 5 days later as it was causing a Bowel obstruction. The surgery was successful but the tumour wasn’t contained within the ascending colon and so the surgeon said I will need chemotherapy for any cancer cells that may be present that he couldn’t see. I find out on Thursday the biopsy results and the treatment plan. I swing from being positive to planning my funeral .. my mother had a tumour in exactly the same place 4 years ago but hers was contained and so she needed no further treatment after surgery and has been fit and well since. I’ve already had CT scans and it hasn’t spread to any major organs. I’m holding onto to that.

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the board. It’s reassuring that there is no spread to other organs and a course of chemo is standard procedure to blast anything left behind that the eye can’t see. Please try and keep your positive head on. Remember that the tumour has been removed and the chemo is just the belt and braces. A forum member once described it as being like having dug a dandelion up and then blasting the hole with weed killer to make sure no little clocks remained. Your mums ‘dandelion’ was dug out before it produced clocks so no chemo needed.

There's no reason why you can’t have the same outcome as your mum. I was diagnosed in 2016 and became good friends with 2 ladies in a similar boat - 2 of us had chemo and the other didn’t but we’re all ‘no evidence of disease’ and getting on with our lives.

Hope this helps and please give the support desk a ring if you want to chat to someone in person?

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thanks very much for your response,Karen. I think I will call the support line tomorrow. It all happened so quickly that we haven’t really had a chance to take it all in. I’m very lucky to have a wonderful family who are an amazing support and we are all still managing to be optimistic. I’m so  grateful that the tumour has been removed and have recovered well from the surgery even though key hole failed and I ended up having major abdominal surgery. I’m just living life as before and not going to worry about the chemotherapy until I have to. X