Hi

• 3 replies
  • 177 subscribers

Hi all. I feel a bit of a fraud being here, but not sure if I should. 

After a colonoscopy found a 9cm polyp and the biopsy showed it as benign, I had it removed via open hemi-cholectomy.

Afterwards the consultant said that his experience told him it was benign, but it had been sent off for investigation. 2 weeks later I heard that it had been cancerous, but they were satisfied it had all been removed; no need for chemo or radiotherapy.

This is where my conflict comes in. While I'm incredibly grateful that there was no period of time(and therefore worry) between diagnosis and removal, I'm still in a kind of shock... I had a cancer, then I didn't but I still have the consequences and I can't process it properly

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm not a member of this group but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will bump it back to the top of the discussion list again.

Sending virtual (((hugs)))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi  and I’m sorry your post was missed - the board is quite busy at the minute. That’s quite an unusual scenario - the biopsy said it was benign but then the pathology report deemed it cancerous? I can totally understand why you’re feeling a bit shocked and confused. 
    The paper below is aimed at people moving on from Cancer after their treatment so hopefully you may find it helpful?

https://www.workingwithcancer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/After-the-treatment-finishes-then-what.pdf

Pleaee give the support desk a ring too and they’ll be happy to chat with you and help you with your thoughts

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hi, and thanks for the reply. 

Yes, unusual and really messed with my head. Colonoscopy person and biopsy said benign, consultant wasn't convinced, then once he'd had "eyes on" agreed with them but turns out his initial thoughts were right... all in the space of about 3 weeks.

Hopefully, I won't go through the same scenario with "it's all gone" "no it's not"  "yes it is"

Thanks again