Jumping the gun here

• 3 replies
  • 177 subscribers

I haven't been diagnosed yet with the big C, only waiting for a CT scan as colonoscopy didn't go to plan.

The way my appointments have been rushed through, makes me wonder if my time is up - basically !  

All of this was the result of the fecal test that used to be sent o.ut.  GP said it was time I had a home test kit.

I had not noticed any bleeding myself, but trace showed up in the home test kit.

I have lost a small amount of weight and my appetite is still good.  I try to be positive, but it ain't easy !   Main concern is how to tell my family should this be it.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

My warm wishes to you all whatever you are going through.

• Hi, I'm with you, try to go step by step... it's an uncertain path from my brief experience thus far and it's too easy to get ahead of ourselves and go bonkers.... easier said than done but try...

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the board. The ‘rushing through’ of appointments is not a sign of cancer - the target for the NHS is the ‘2 week rule’ so they aim to get you seen within 2 weeks of your GP referral and then things like scans and bloods etc. follow on quickly from that.

There are lots of things that can cause blood in stools like ibs, colitis, polyps, diverticulitis etc. and only 1 in 10 colonoscopies results in a bowel cancer diagnosis. If, and it is very much an if at this point, it does turn out to be bowel cancer then it is very treatable. 

Try not to worry about the what ifs and keep your head in the present not wondering about something that might never need to happen?

Take care and please let us know how you get on?

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thanks ladies for your support