Introducing myself

• 7 replies
  • 165 subscribers

New here! For my birthday this year I received a state of the art video camera...shoved right up where the sun doesn't shine and a leaflet about Macmilllans. I suspect I'm not the only one who fluctuates between feeling very blase about everything and petrified about the future. It's strange how you can feel so well and yet have this very serious illness. Anyway I just thought I'd say hello and wish you all the very best.

• Hi  and hello to you too. Yes I was a bit blase - don’t know if it was denial or what - but decided I’d treat it like any other illness and just get on with the treatment. Like you I felt pretty well and had postponed my colonoscopy for a week to go on holiday. I was told at my first meeting with the consultant that they were treating me with a ‘view to cure’ so I held on to that thought and accepted all the treatment that they offered me. 

There’s no right or wrong way to deal with it - the treatment can be tough and it’s natural to feel a range of emotions - but we’re all at different stages of treatment and recovery on here and happy to help and support you through yours.

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Idem for me, it's bizarre that we walk around with stage 4 metastatic cancer and can't even feel it!!

• Great first post. Made the wife and I chuckle.

I haven't had a great deal of time to fret about it. Just over 4 weeks between diagnosis and op which has gone really smooth. Wasn't sure whether to tell people at first; didn't want to burden them or want their sympathy I guess but don't keep it to myself anymore and you realise how kind and caring people are and only want to offer support and best wishes. Found the choice of adjuvant chemo difficult. A bald friend was asking about it and whether I would be joining him. We had a good laugh when he confessed to being envious of my wookie mop as he called it during lockdown! 

I actually feel a bit of a fraud. You think of the worst when you hear the terrible word cancer, but I have been very lucky. Furthermore when I read some of the heartbreaking stories of others on the forum.  For what its worth my thoughts and best wishes are with you. 

• Thank you for your kind comments and best wishes!

• Hello and thank you for making me smile, sometimes the only way to cope. Nancy x

• Thanks, Nancy! Have a great day! 

• Hello, welcome to as everyone says the club no one wants to join. I agree people often say you look so well, I feel pretty well (had surgery nearly 8 weeks ago, feeling pretty good). I take it as I am very fortunate that I do not feel worse but it's so strange I do agree. Like you say it is very serious though. I've found Macmillan so helpful and online groups too. I hope your treatment is going well and you have a great team. Keep in touch.