Rectal Cancer

• 12 replies
  • 181 subscribers

Just to say hello as I am new to the group.

I start my treatment tomorrow for Rectal Cancer and feeling apprehensive.

I will be taking Chemo tablets plus Radiotherapy just a bit worried about side effects 

I feel so alone but like I keep telling myself they have caught mine just in time and there are people worse off than me. 

Any ideas of diet etc when you lose your appetite. can't discuss with husband as he has been diagnosed with vascular dementia and alzheimers .

• Hello Mags75,

Welcome to the club we would all prefer not to join.

I was apprehensive, like you, prior to treatment. On each visit the radiotherapy team asked if I was OK and indeed I was. Didn't have any noticeable side effects. However, my oncologist had recommended a loop ileostomy prior to treatment to mitigate the likely prolonged diarrhoea (I had a 45 mile round trip to the hospital each week day for 5 weeks). As a result - no side effects. If you click on my name you can see a summary of the treatment to date.

Best

Dulac

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the board from me too. I found the chemoradiotherapy to be pretty tolerable - the chemo is a mild dose in tablet form to enhance the effects of the radiotherapy and, as Dulac says, the radiographers keep a close eye on you. I’ve attached a link to a post that we did which you might like to take a look at?

Radiotherapy care top tips ! 

As tor appetite I would suggest you eat what you fancy - there’s a few tips on the link below 

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/impacts-of-cancer/eating-problems/tips-for-managing-eating-problems

We’re all at different stages of treatment and recovery on here and happy to help and support you through yours

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thank you I am looking forward and onward from today. so after my 5 weeks of Chemoradiotherapy I will be having 8 weeks later   another MRI and CT scan and  then 6 weeks later an operation then chemo again and then back to normal hopefully getting back on my horse

• Thank you just about to take my first 3 chemo tablets x

• Hi Mags 57…my husband has just completed his chemo( tablet form) and radiotherapy…now week four after the treatment feeling well, had very minimal side effects during treatment ..mainly tiredness….as others have said, let staff know if you have any concerns they are so helpful…we are now just waiting for oncologist appointment to see where we go from here…Plenty of helpful advice given ..take care and hopefully you too have minimal side effects …

• Thanks everso I was just worried about side effects as I do a 50 mile trip to the hospital. Have bought a bucket and wet wipes just in case I am sick I always say be prepared even if you don't need it.

• Hey, were you able to ride during the chemo and radiotherapy?

• Hi I was advised not to ride but I think it was down to my age as my oncologist was worried in case I did some damage to my hips. I am 75years old but after everything I will be back on my horse 

• You’re absolutely incredible- I hope you know. My dad has just been diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer and is about to start his journey. Worried about the weight he’s lost already. Have you lost any weight?

• Hey Sam, ive seen youve commented on a few of the threads so thought id send you a reply. 
    My dad has stage 4 colon cancer with spread to liver. 
    I remember how terrifying it was when we were first told, hes about 2 months into his chemo journey now and doing well. Scans soon to check progress. 
    All i want to say is , im so sorry youre going through this, but things do get easier. 
    Stay off google and if you have any questions ask away on here! 
    There is a live chat feature where you can also speak to a nurse online also. 
    Also try read some of the stories on here, there are a few who are still here years and years after their stage 4 diagnosis. 
    Hope your dad does well on chemo and gets good results.