Symptoms before diagnosis

• 6 replies
  • 163 subscribers

Did any of you suffer persistent generalised lower backache before diagnosis? I’ve also had blood in stools for 2 days but now normal again. 
Blood tests done. See GP Monday. Just need to know if I should be hoping to be referred on. 
No weightloss - just tired - but also been quite stressed. 
Heartfelt thoughts to all going through this…

• Hi  

I can’t answer the back pain aspect but would expect anyone with any form of rectal bleeding to have this investigated fully .

Most times it’s absolutely benign.

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi Tab

2017...Had back pain but put it down to arthritis....no real symptoms....Poo test came back positive ..as did 2nd one (NHS Scotland)...colonoscopy and  biopsy confirmed malignant tumour...stressful and worrying time for you.

Best of luck and take care

Peter

• Hi Tab 24

I suffered with lower back pain that's what made go to the doctors to be honest I also went through periods of having blood in my stools but after I had gone to the doctors I done 2 stool tests both came back negative then I was asked to do a third one because they were saying that I had inflammatory bowel disease but that one came back positive and that led to a colonoscopy and 3 weeks later am operation and that was back in October like others have said just get to the doctors and get yourself sorted 

All the best Andy 

• I really would recommend having a colonscopy. Seems the standard response to blood in stool. 

• My only symptom was fatigue and (occasional) blood in stools. I'd ignored it for months; my mother and brother had both in recent years had colonoscopies and had had nothing more 'serious' than polyps; I saw no reason why I should buck the trend. Their main treatment had been a change in diet. Hearing how awful the colonoscopy was, I was determined that a change it my diet was all that was needed and all would be well. I was burying my head in the sand.

Fast forward to late February and I was still tired, still seeing blood in my stools. I was starting to worry myself sick, so took myself off to the doctor. Last Monday, I had the colonoscopy, and didn't get the result I was expecting / looking for. But, at least I know now what my diagnosis is, but not my prognosis.

Still worrying myself sick, but I know that I'm on the path to getting things sorted. Don't stick your head head in the sand like me. If a colonoscopy is on the cards, run with it. It'll do one of two things, either set your mind at rest or set you on the path to treatment.

Wishing you all the very best.

O.

• It seems like symptoms cannot be generalised, & are all very personal.

Looking back,I had no back pain, but a continuous dull ache in my lower left side of abdomen.I attended my GPs on a couple of occasions, but was given sachets to loosen my bowels (despite me saying I was regular.The symptoms progressed to very loose & urgent bowel movements,extremely loud gurgling noises in stomach, then sudden cramps & nausea. I also lost nearly a stone in weight, over a period of 6 months. However, I never noticed any blood in my stools, though TBH, I never really looked!

Best wishes

Marianne