Recurrent bowel cancer

• 5 replies
  • 160 subscribers

Had a phone call today from consultant to say my bowel cancer is back. Apparently when they were checking a follow up ct scan for surgery I had last year on kidney stone it showed lesions and nodules on both my lungs. An enlarge lymph node outside my bowel on the right hand side where the resection was done, also a  tumour in my left hip at the sarcoma beside my tail. She indicated there would be no surgery. I’m still up I can’t sleep. I was diagnose 10 years ago with small bowel cancer had a resection and chemotherapy.  To say I’m shocked and devastated is an can’t believe  it’s came back is an understatement after all this time. 

• Hi 

I have to say I am So sorry to read this and very shocked too . It’s such a later recurrence I can see why its very hard to Process .

Did you have pain in your hip ? 

It must be incredibly slow growing . So that is a positive in terms of going forward .

I will link in a good booklet to help you start finding your feet in navigating the minefield of treatments options . Most go straight to chemotherapy and this is a good plan . Not only does it start to work on the visible disease but the micro diseases . Bowel cancer being one of the bigger primary cancers has had a lot of money invested into in terms of research . They will seek initially to stabilise the spread then once that is achieved they continue to have MDT meetings to see if there is other approaches that may help contain it .

We have people on the forums using chemotherapy in maintenance setting for six and seven years . My own mum has navigated a stage four diagnosis for 13 years . There is always something to navigate either treatment and now the effects of treatment . You can click on my user name to read her full story . Another x ray today but that’s they way it is .

However in between all of this has been the most wonderful years , holidays , celebrations, watching grandchildren go through schools , birthdays , and now has one just graduated from uni and taking up his first job . They all still flock to wee granny to help her out as she played a vital role in raise them . Grabbing life in between treatment and putting her best foot forward .

I hope you can take the time to find your feet . Happy to chat at any time as we know as a family how this impacts and how you have to work hard to find a way forward .

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• https://www.bowelcanceruk.org.uk/about-bowel-cancer/our-publications/treating-advanced-bowel-cancer/

If you click on the link it should take you to the booklet .

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Court, I’ve had pain in my hip but the doctor sent me for an x Ray and she said it was arthritis. The growth is 4.4 cm with a lymph node 3.5 cm outside the bowel where the join was made on the resection 10 years ago. Apparently there are lesions and nodules on both lungs the largest being 1.1 cm. It was only found on a ct scan I was sent for as a follow up on surgery I had in 2021 to remove kidney stones it was a belated follow up due to covid. 

Cath

• Meant to say court this was done ones the phone yesterday the urology consultant called me. She said I will probably need a biopsy on the lymph node to grade it. And a MDT will be out in place with my Correctoral  nurse being informed. She said the need to find out if it’s a new cancer or a recurrent bowel cancer the original primary, but at the moment it’s looking recurrent. Thanks again Court I feel a bit better after speaking to you. 

Cath

• It must be such a shock for you .

That’s such a shame you have had pain in your hip but hopefully they will get that resolved for you . My friend had a small amount of radiotherapy for something similar . 

With chemo being systemic they can target all areas at once and it’s a good way to stabilise the disease . So many different options and it’s hard when you don’t have all the information to hand yet but you can rest assured it will come together . It can take a wee bit longer when a spread is involved to pull the treatment plan together . Things like biopsies can hold it back a bit but I always reassured myself it would not affect much in the long run . My mum’s oncologist suggested a good holiday before she started treatment and we managed a few days . 

Here to chat at any time as it’s very unsettling .

Off to get my mum’s form for her 36 th trip to radiography. She is made of steal.

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge