New to this...

• 4 replies
  • 161 subscribers

Hello,

My husband (47 years old) was diagnosed in December 2020 with colon cancer Stage IV- metastasized to liver, lungs, and some lymph nodes. I HAVE to believe there is hope that he can beat this. Otherwise, I have a hard time getting out of bed each day - fighting with depression, yet trying to be strong. We have two daughters ages 14 and 10.

Any Advice/words of wisdom?

Thank you,

Michelle

• Hi Michelle,

I see you are still up as I am. What else have you got if you don’t have hope. 

I’ve had some bad news today and can’t sleep. I had bowel cancer ten years ago and giva phone call today to tell me it’s back mine was stage 3.

Cath

• Think they told me it’s in both my lungs, my hip and a large lump node. 

what treatment has your husband had?

Cath

• Good news is I’m still here 10 years on. Continue to try and think positive if you can as there is always hope Michelle. Will keep you in my prayers. 

Cath

• Hi 

This is tough and the middle of the night a very lonely place . Bowel cancer that has spread is one of the primary cancers that a sub group of patients despite the spread , despite the diagnosis/prognosis do well treating it as a chronic condition by using chemotherapy for years . My mum had a couple of intense years as they tried to stabilise a spread to the liver first.  Then her lung . It took time and a lot of treatment but slowly , little by little she reduced her tumour burden . 
    Obviously not all patients but some continue to do well in spite of it all .

However it’s not easy on anyone going through this .

We are here to support you and strange as it is , it becomes a routine , a new normal , very unwelcome though . 
    I would however pay attention to your own health too . Have a chat with your GP and say yes to everyone who offers support and help . 
    Our helpline staff may be able to point you in directions of local support . 0808 808 0000

I would also say make sure you retain meeting up with friends for a coffee , some exercise. Even a small walk . Although these things sound small they can actually help in bigger ways .

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000