Prolapsed bowel and rectal cancer

• 7 replies
  • 162 subscribers

Hi I’m new here, hello everyone Grinning. Last Monday 13/6/22  I was diagnosed with a prolapsed bowel and rectal cancer I’m 59 years old. I was told the MDT meet on Wednesdays and I’ll receive a call or letter to see what happens next. I had a MRI on the Tuesday and CT scan on Wednesday. The staff were so lovely. Not sure what questions to ask any suggestions would really be appreciated. I’m on low dose of antibiotics for my asthma alone with steroids inhalers and antihistamines and amitriptyline for fibromyalgia. Anyone else know if anyone with this and other Illnesses?  Due for the call today or tomorrow starting to worry about the results. Trying my hardest to stay positive it’s working most of the time. My husband, family and friends have been amazing. Our youngest son who’s 30 comes back from his 10 days from Greece late tonight, midnight, we are making tea for them Thursday and I’m so worried I’m going to spoil his holiday news with my news I can’t wait to see them and hear all about it and see their photos. I decided not to tell him while on his holiday with his beautiful family fir 10 days as no point he can’t do anything and my news would only spoil it for them all. He’s very much like me as in ‘ what will be will be’ we’ll cope together. Sorry to go on. 

• Sending best wishes, you've come to the right place. Let us know how you get on, lots of help on here!

• Hi

I came through it last year and I won't pretend that the whole journey is HARD. I hope your results are  positive and that you can come out the other end fit and strong. Whatever, the result, remember that the human spirit is very strong and with the love and support of your family, you will come through. Positive thoughts bring positive results and there is always light at the end of the tunnel.

I found strength not only in my family but also writing defiant poetry!!!

Good luck

Richard PrayPrayPray

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the board. The waiting for results and meetings is very stressful but once you have a treatment plan in place then things will honestly feel a bit better. Bowel cancer is notoriously slow growing but very treatable - I was diagnosed in 2016 and I’m currently cancer free - if you click on my name then you can see my story. 

It’s hard breaking the news to people so you might want to wait until after your meeting with the consultant (apart from close family) I was told they were treating me with a view to cure which I told people to soften the blow a bit although I told close family from the off. 
    My husbands favourite saying is ‘it is what it is’ and that’s how we tried to view it - nothing we could do to change the diagnosis so accepted every treatment offered to give me the best chance of dealing with it.

Ive attached a link to the booklet that I was given at my first meeting - there’s some ideas of questions that you might want to ask and also information on staging and the various treatments.

bowelcancerorguk.s3.amazonaws.com/.../YourPathway_BowelCancerUK.pdf

Please let us know how you get on?

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hi thank you very much xx 

• That’s great news cancer free! Thank you I’ll take a read xx

• Hi just wanted to say thank you very much for the link you provided. This has really helped me!