Small Intestine/ Constipation

• 5 replies
  • 162 subscribers

Hi I recently was in hospital for sickness and constipation , while I was there having various test, I was told my melanoma has spread to my small intestine, neck and various other places and the immunotherapy treatment had stopped working so I was given the unfortunate news that my cancer was terminally and given months, I’m not under palliative care yet.

im still having problems with my bowel, I use suppository, I’ve had enemas, I still feel not quite empty,  my small intestine  still makes this terrible gurgling sound every time I eat or don’t  and I get awful spasm, I have medication for the spasms which helps a little and I’m sometimes sick, I also have medication for this. it’s the small intestine on my right side that’s keeps gurgling that gets  me down, day and night, doctor suggested a low fibre diet which I stated on the 18th May, not sure if it’s helping still get the gurgling noise and sometimes it sounds like rushing water, or a washing machine trying to empty, I still have bowel movements every other day, has anyone had something similar and how did you cope with it? I’m even looking into colonic hydrotherapy to see if this will help? Any help would be appreciated 

• Hi 

Welcome to the forum . I am so sorry to read of your situation . We have had people in the past that complain of very noisy digestive symptoms . Going on a low fibre diet is quite common around here to assist with preventing bowel blockages .

Have you been on probiotics ? Not bowel cancer related but I had a lot of rumbling myself and have found adding in probiotics really helpful . Of course it’s one to run by your team as I definitely no Dr . 

Our helpline staff might have some guidance From the nurse . 0808 808 0000

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi 

I’ve had horrible digestion mainly constipation and a feeling like my small bowel just stops working somehow . Then lots of gurgling and noise as you’ve described . I’ve tried all sorts there are 2 things that I think are finally helping - digestive enzymes and magnesium supplements. I have one that includes magnesium citrate which is supposed to help with constipation. I have certainly noticed a difference. I’ve recently had a colonoscopy and the dreaded clear out medication …. It took about 5/6 days after the clear out and taking the magnesium to get back to any kind of routine . ( I’m not convinced a colonic irrigation would help you much ) 

• Thank you, I will ask my doctor about probiotics 

• Thank you for your reply could you tell what exactly is digestive enzymes?

• The reason I mentioned asking about probiotics the yogurt versions are live and lots of oncologist prefer them not to be used .

I actually take a tablet form so not sure where that fits in but worth asking .

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000