Was under investigation for IBD, now told biopsies found cancer.

• 3 replies
  • 161 subscribers

Hi all, it's a bit of a shock to the system to be looking into a potential life long illness, to then be told they found cancer. I have my first appt with colorectal MDT on Monday. Just wanting to connect with others really.

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the board. Yes it’s a hell of a shock but once you have a treatment plan in place then things will honestly feel a bit better. Stay away from google - it can be scary and out of date - you can clink on people names and their profile page may show their treatment to date. We’re all at different stages of treatment and recovery and happy to help and support you through this.

I’ve attached a link to the booklet that I was given at my first meeting which might give you a bit of a heads up

https://bowelcancerorguk.s3.amazonaws.com/Publications/YourPathway_BowelCancerUK.pdf

Please let us know how your meeting goes?

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Well the MDT meeting was pretty much pointless, they could've told me over the phone. Face palm hubby took time off and I had to arrange sitter for toddlers to be told "results aren't conclusive enough, so we want to do a colonoscopy and more biopsies".

They won't even discuss the colitis that was found because "treatment for that are immunosuppressive and we don't want to do that just in case this is cancer".

Colonoscopy is booked for Wednesday and I've been sent all the prep, but I've not had a bowel movement since Saturday and am concerned there may be a blockage, but now with the jubilee bank holiday I can't get hold of the GP or colorectal team.

This waiting and not knowing for sure is way more stressful than knowing!

• Hi OriginalMoo

Sorry you’re going through this stress. It’s a really worrying time for you especially as the bank holiday has made you feel even more anxious. 
    Its good that you have the colonoscopy booked and that youre in the system to treat your problem. If you’re feeling that you’re blocked then maybe contact here or emergency number. 111

Vomiting, pain and  swelling is  not to be ignored so please take care. 
    I had a rectal tumour that caused pressure the feeling I needed to go but actually only ribbon sized stools actually appeared. It was uncomfortable and I had to eat little and easy to process

I wasn’t told it was definitely cancer before all the tests were done. 
    Wish you good luck

Ann
     ‍Art