Bowel screen

• 3 replies
  • 162 subscribers

Good evening everyone. I'm new here so just following the "introduce yourself" heading. A few weeks back I was recalled following routine bowel screening. 2 weeks ago I had a colonoscopy during which 2 small polyps were removed, a third larger polyp in my rectum remained. Today I attended for an ESD (Endoscopic submucosal dissection) the polyp could not totally be removed during this procedure so I have been referred for MRI and probable surgery thereafter. Unfortunately as a registered nurse (retired 3 yrs ago) I have some knowledge, not really helpful in such situations I assure you - panic very soon set's in! If anyone else has had similar experience/treatment I'd be grateful if you could share. Stay well all

• Hi  and welcome to the board. The waiting for scans and next stages of treatment is very stressful especially when you were expecting them to remove the polyp during the ESD. Unfortunately until the polyp is removed and sent off for testing then you can not be 100% sure what you’re facing. The MRI will presumably be to give the surgeon a better picture of the overall situation.

Whether it is cancerous or not the polyp needs removing. Bowel cancer (if it does turn out to be that) is notoriously slow growing but very treatable especially if caught early. Stay away from google and try to distract yourself - once you have the scan results and a plan in place then things will honestly feel a bit better.

We’re all at different stages of treatment or recovery on here so please feel free to post if you’ve any concerns or questions and we’ll be happy to help you through this

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thank you so much for your reply. I agree, waiting is agonising but I really do want whatever this is removed and am open to whatever treatment thereafter is deemed necessary. Many thanks for your support.

• Hi 

I completely hear you on the medical knowledge front ! It’s hard to park all that knowledge at times ! However it did come in handy too !

Hope your doing ok. 
    take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000