Mucus discharge

• 5 replies
  • 163 subscribers

I had a loop stoma created 4 months ago as an emergency  when bowel cancer returned..I am experiencing excessive mucus discharge  and am wondering if any one has found a way to deal with or minimise this as all the professionals i have spoken to seem to dismiss this as a minor issue but It is so bad that I am having to wear incontinence pads which I have to change every hour or so.

• Hi 

https://www.colostomyuk.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Rectal-Discharge.pdf

Have you come across this information ! They have a stoma helpline which might be worth a call if you have not found your way to them already !

I can totally see why you would find that limiting !

Just wondered if they might have some experience!

take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• I have a loop colostomy (January), I had a lot of discharge for the first 5 months but it is easing off now. Yes the nurses and doctors all treated it as normal. My experience wasn't as bad as yours seems to be.  I found frequent toilet visits helped a lot.

• Hello there - maybe we were dealt with on the same day - 4th March.  This is probably more me seeking advice than helping you, but here goes.  I have nearly your experience, though I can manage two - three hours.  It is by far the most impacting feature of my complaint as I'm not being treated (by choice) and have no medications or pain.  I count myself lucky.  However like you I find it difficult to get meaningful advice.  Pads of some type seem to be the given 'solution'  One thing I do which helps me is to make a wad of four sheets of loo-paper folded length wise and put on (not in) the place where there's no sun, then add a pad.   More often than not the pad is uncontaminated when I feel the need to change the wadding - it's the other times that are not so good.  I somehow think you are a man, like me.  So another thing is not to confine yourself to male pads.  Female pads of most types have adhesive to keep them in place within close-fitting pants. I found I'd already downloaded the item that Court mentions months ago  but - with respect - on re-reading it found it still unhelpful - it stops short, somehow.  My MacMillan stoma nurse has told me that the excessive mucus is caused by my insitu tumour as well as natural but redundant lubrication.   The tumour also bleeds occasionally.  You may not have that issue.  

Do the pads work for you?  I have moved to using night -time type sanitary towels - endorsed by my stoma nurse - but although they absorb what you'd expect even they wil not absorb the jelly-like matter, necessitating rapid and frequent loo-visits day and night to try to avoid leaks.   The presumption seems to be that pads deal with the problem - they don't for me.  I'm looking for advice on a pad which will actually wick away the jelly-mucus, and there is no advice about that specific issue that I can find. 

On the down side I think we're both condemned to pad-and-pants while we hope to get more like bearwidower for whom I'm pleased.

• Thanks for your reply. The best solution i have found is folded sheets of Regina xxl kitchen roll inside Moli Care incontinence pads inside tight underpants. This is thicker than loo paper and so more absorbant.Tried ladies pads without any success. Also following advice to take Vitamin C and drink Cranberry Juice but not seeing any benefit from this.

Am currently having short course of Radiotherapy  and Chemo to try to slow down growth and spread of tumour and have been told this may help reduce the mucus by some clinicians but others say not so must wait to see.is

Would just be good not to have to make so many trips to the loo at night.

• Thanks for the advice - I'll check those out. I suppose that never having had to deal with periods we don't know what sensations to expect/tolerate