Friend

• 1 reply
  • 161 subscribers

Hi, just joined, not sure what to say. Just feel so sad. My friend, who I love so much is being rushed through scans etc. He has been passing lots of blood about every 20 minutes or so. He can only manage to keep down 1 bottle of smoothie per day. He had ct last week and mri yesterday. On Wednesday a camera up his bottom and take biopsies. And in the afternoon seeing the consultant surgeon. He looks like he is dying in front of me. He only phoned the dr 2 weeks ago ,and then only because I dialled the number and put it in his hand. He started bleeding about 5 months ago.the tumour is 7 cm wide and almost blocking the lower colon,15 cm from his bottom. They say they won’t be able get a camera past. I am so not ready to lose him,but he is just pragmatic. Has anyone else been this bad and got better? Please?

• Hi  and welcome to the board although I’m really sorry to hear about your friend. The important thing to focus on now is that he’s in the system and they are doing all the necessary tests to get a complete picture before deciding on a treatment plan. Bowel cancer is very slow growing but also very treatable so please don’t assume the worse - size is not an indicator of severity and the scans will show whether there has been any spread to other organs. If there is a chance that the bowel may become totally blocked then they may operate to fit him with a stoma so his stools will bypass the tumour and go straight into a bag on his tummy - it may take a few days to get used to but could be life saving.

Treatment will depend on the results of the scans and biopsies so please keep posting and we’ll support you both through this

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm