Recent dianosis

• 5 replies
  • 161 subscribers

Hi. Newbie on here. My husband was diagnosed with lower rectal cancer on the 8th June..4 cm in from anus and 5 cm x 2 cm. Was supposed to here something today as 8 biopsies taken last Tuesday..heard nothing..waiting is horrendous. X

• Hi 

So sorry to hear about your husband too. It is a very tough few weeks but it does ease a bit once you know the plan for your husband and get a bit of structure to move forward with .

Thst is upsetting not to hear anything today . Hope tomorrow brings better news .

I noticed you replied to the other new thread and I have included some information which might help interpret the biopsy information etc . In the early days it is like a new language you have to learn very quickly. They are both from reliable sources and should help see some of the possible routes the drs have to treat your husband.

We also have a helpline 0808 808 0000. They would be happy to chat any aspect through with you .

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Thank you Court. They have now said he needs chemo radiotherapy to shrink the tumour because the tumour is quite big. On a positive it is localised. We have an appointment with the Oncologist tomorrow.

This forum has been such a great help to me at a very frightening time.

Thanks

Jen t2

• Hi 

So glad you have found it helpful . I am going to tag in . It is a fairly common route to have chemo radiation. A lot of people here will have had it and hopefully pop on to reassure you . Great news that there is no spread . He is on a curative route and that’s important.

I do think some information really does help prepare for the next step in the process . 
    Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi . Good news that the tumour is localised. Chemoradiotherapy before surgery is pretty much the norm for rectal tumours and can be very successful at shrinking the tumour - mine shrank from 4cm to 1cm. This then allows the surgeon to remove it with clear margins ie. with some of the surrounding uninfected area and make sure that all the tumour is removed.

I has 5 weeks of daily chemoradio (mon-fri) and the chemo is a low dose in tablet form which helps the radiotherapy work. He’ll have a pre-treatment assessment and be tattooed with 3 tiny dots which are used to line the machine up. The actual zapping takes about 10 minutes - I used to get early morning appointments to try and beat any delays then went in to work straight after. 
    As with most treatments there are side effects such as fatigue, diarrhoea, sore skin etc. but he will be given creams and tablets and closely monitored by the radiographers. 

I’ve attached a link to the page about radiotherapy but if there’s anything that you’d like to ask please don’t hesitate

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/treatments-and-drugs/radiotherapy-for-rectal-cancer

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thank you Karen for your reply. Fantastic news about your response to the treatment. He has his mapping scan on Tuesday. I'm presuming they will tell him then when his treatment will start.

I really appreciate your reply. Lots of love and luck to you.

Jen x