New member.

• 5 replies
  • 162 subscribers

Hi. My wife had a bowel cancer op a year last January followed by 6 mths of chemo - no hair loss, but she suffered terribly with her feet. They were extremely painful (like walking on needles) & all the underneath skin peeled off. We got the "all clear" from a CT scan this January & celebrated with a bottle of champs. We booked a week away in the Lakes which starts on Monday.

THEN a routine colonoscopy showed up another large tumour in the same place as the previous one, stage 4b, so another 6 hr op in April. Since then she has been extremely tired (extreme fatigue) & keeps going dizzy (vertigo?). Her prognosis is poor. She's not getting any better, despite her best efforts. 

I spoke to a Macmillan lady yesterday who suggested I join their forum. I am struggling with some of her comments & my own dark thoughts at times. Virtually no matter what the subject matter of a conversation, my wife always seems to turn it round to be about her cancer. Although perfectly understandable, I am finding this very hard going & wearing, and I don't quite know how to deal with it. She's also mentioning "assisted suicide" as a possible option - what? 

Any input would be welcome from those more experienced in these matters. 

Thank you. 

• Hi 

Welcome to the forum ! So sorry to hear about your wife’s recent diagnosis. That must have been quite a blow for you both !

I think sometimes you just know deep down inside that you can’t meet all the needs that the situation demands and getting some external input really helps ease it . 
    Do you think your wife would be open to some counselling? I think Macmillan helpline would be able to give you some information.0808 808 0000. My mum was the opposite in that she hated the conversation coming up at all ! However it does sound as though she needs some help to process the information she has been given and assistance to developing a way to deal with the information. 
    Is your Gp involved with her care ? The mental health aspects of a diagnosis must be very hard especially if the prognosis is poor . It might be a good idea to get some input from them too .

I am not sure if you are currently getting any time away from the situation but a carers role can be very demanding . I previously worked as a community occupational therapist and tried to encourage carers to set time away from the situation where they could have space to do something that helped build them up . For the long term needs of both you and your wife it is good to address the issues and get a balance . Maggie’s centres can also be good .

It can be very traumatic emotionally so getting some support around your wife other than you can help .

You are also welcome to post here at any time . I am happy to listen . Sometimes also just getting the opportunity to be truthful about the needs can help . It’s not an easy situation on anyway and we can draw strength and encouragement from each other . 

Is your wife currently having treatment !

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi Court 

Thanks for your reply (early morning!). I don't really have the opportunity to reply/post during the day; I need to be on my own. 

I mentioned counselling for us both a few evenings ago. The response from my wife was that "I'm OK, it's you that needs counselling", so that's probably a non-starter. 

The GP is a bit of a waste of space. Since Covid,, trying to see one is very difficult. My wife has got an appt in a couple of weeks, but that's to do with her dizziness. There doesn't seem to be any support in the community for stoma care. She is completely reliant on the Fittleworth team for home visits, so when they're on holiday she doesn't get a visit. I can't believe that there aren't any district nurses with stoma training, but that seems to be the situation. 

I managed to get a week away with my son last week, which was very enjoyable, except that I  know that my wife struggled on her own in the evenings/nights. I felt quite guilty about leaving her, but it was a special one-off joint birthday celebration for my son and myself. (80 + 50)

We had friends round this afternoon which was great, but my wife still kept referring to her perceived shortness of life expectancy, which was somewhat depressing. 

Thanks for reading my ramblings; I don't really know what else to say. 

Regards. 

• So pleased you got away ! Happy 80 th birthday ! What a special time for you . 
    You post at whatever time is possible. We totally understand . It’s sad your GP is not able to assist more . My mum’s has played a vital role in supporting us all through this . 
    Has your wife not been referred to a palliative care team ?

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Court. My wife's prognosis, although poor, is not yet regarded as terminal, so palliative care doesn't yet arise. Looking forward to our stay in the Lakes this week. We may need to change our eating habits of a lifetime. My wife is now better eating early rather than 6ish; it gives the stoma chance to work before bedtime. See how we get on.

Thanks for your reply. 

• Hi 

Oh fantastic. Enjoy your trip away . That will be a good lift for you both . Someone once suggested setting a time each day to sit and discuss issues but agree to having time off from discussions too so that you can enjoy other things . 
    I hope the Lake District is a time for enjoying the time together.

Court 

Community Champion Badge