Just been diagnosed

• 5 replies
  • 160 subscribers

Hi I've just been diagnosed with stage 2 colon cancer, not only that but they have found fatty cysts on my liver. I was fine up to yesterday thought I could deal with this and keep working until I start my treatment plan but have realised the seriousness of this now. 

Upto yesterday I was going on the theory of 'it is what it is' and being quite blasé about it  but today I'm on a downer and finding it a bit difficult. My family have been so supportive throughout this and have been my rock and I appreciate it. 

I've had the colonoscopy at the beginning and that is how they found the tumour and to be honest it was a bit of a shock initially but soon decided to hit this head on and then came the CT Scan. Now I have to wait 2 weeks for an MRI scan to determine the liver of fatty cysts then decide on my treatment plan.

• Hi 

Just want to welcome you to the forum ! You are at such a difficult stage as they gather in the information and most people here report this is an intense time when the most negative thoughts surface . Once the information is available and your treatment plan comes together it gives it more structure to go forward with and treat it and it really does seem to help .

Unfortunately the liver is renowned for cysts and they take no chances and investigate  thoroughly. A lot of people have been through this here and once successfully ruled out they can move swiftly forwards . I think  had a similar experience.

Others here will pop on and share their experiences . I am a carer so it has more value coming from experience. 
    take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi @Grief83 and a warm welcome to the board from me too. I see you share my husbands favourite mantra of ‘it is what it is’ but I found it very relevant when I was diagnosed - it’s happened, I can’t change it so let’s get on with it. As Court says I had something flagged up in my liver and had to have an MRI - it is a harmless cyst called a haemangioma and they are apparently very common and most people go through life without ever knowing that they have one. I recently requested copies of my scans and discovered that I also have a few fatty cysts which are harmless and they just check that they are unchanged from scan to scan but this was the first I knew of them!

This waiting for scans and results is very stressful but things will feel a bit better once you have a treatment plan in place. Cancer is obviously serious but bowel cancer is very treatable nowadays especially if caught early. If you feel able to carry on working then do - I found it a good distraction and made things feel a bit more ‘normal’ again.

In the meantime please stay away from google - it is out of date and downright scary in places. Stay on here and the bowel cancer uk board. You can ask anything you like or just read other people’s profiles by clicking on their name. 
    I was diagnosed as stage 3 in 2016 and I’m currently cancer free as are the 2 ladies that I went brought my treatment with.

Please keep posting and let us know how you’re doing and we’ll help you through this

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thank you for your reply, overall I feel I'm being quite positive but also have my ups and downs on a random basis. Like you said once I have some structure and plan I can be in a better mindset.

• Good on you  .

We are most certainly here for the odd down moments to encourage you through and suddenly people get the handle on it they need and find a way through . 
    You do sound very strong despite it all . 
    take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000