Waiting diagnosis

• 7 replies
  • 162 subscribers

Hello. I’m 37 female living in Scotland. 

Brief timeline:

Oct 20 - went to doctors for restless legs, blood test showed anaemia

Nov 20 - stool sample taken and shown blood was present

20th Dec 20 - colonoscopy cancelled due to close covid contact

29th Jan 21 - colonoscopy went ahead but not completed due to stricture in descending colon (appeared to be malignant tumour- not confirmed) biopsies taken and CT ordered

8th Feb 21 - biopsies return as suspicious but not confirmed

15th Feb 21 - CT Scan 

17th Feb 21 - results in but forward to MDT in Aberdeen, consultant confirmed they were still looking at cancer.

19th Feb 21 - MDT held my case was handed to colorectal consultant 

my next appointment is 4th Mar 21 - video consultation with new consultant.

The closer I get to my appointment the more I am starting to get nervous, I have been pretty mellow this whole time but it’s starting to get to me now and I just want to know.

Sorry I know there is no point to my post but everyone I have told is currently on the ‘you’re too young to have cancer so don’t worry’ side so they don’t understand my concern

• So sorry to hear. I have been diagnosed and await the treatment plan. It is an anxious time but I hold on to the fact that these days it is very treatable. 

• Hi both, and . Just to say you are not alone, there are lots of people on here who can help, if only by listening to rants! We've all done it. Yes it is very treatable, just complicated by covid nowadays. Make sure you write down any questions, however trivial you think they might be, and take the list to any meeting or phone call. Take care

• Hi and and a warm welcome to the board to you both from me although I’m sorry that you find yourselves here. This waiting for results, meetings etc. is very stressful but once you have a confirmed diagnosis and a treatment plan in place then things will feel a little better. Bowel Cancer is very treatable nowadays especially if caught in the early stages. Stay away from google - it is out of date and misleading - you can ask anything you want on here and we’ll be happy to support you through this.

Please let us know how you get on with your appointments?

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thanks  and 

I think the bit that is getting to me the most is that I don’t know either way if it’s cancer or not. I think the uncertainty it is making my mind wander down paths it doesn’t need to just yet.

fingers crossed you don’t have to wait too long to get a plan in place x

• Hi 

I can understand how that would be difficult to process . It is very hard to interpret “suspicious “ as most people get a bit more information from their biopsy .

How busy are the hospitals in Aberdeen? Glasgow is still managing to keep cancer care going through this wave so that’s been very positive .

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi everyone

I had my video consultation today and I still don’t have a diagnosis however I do have a plan. 
    The lump will be removed and hopefully the two sections of my colon will be joined back together, the plan is for this to happen April/May time so still awhile to wait but not too long. 
    After the lump has been taken out it will be look at closely to see whether it is cancerous or not and to see if I need any further treatment.

So now it’s just a waiting game again or the nurses to get in touch to arrange blood tests and pre ops.

Claire

• at least you have a plan, which is a good step forward. They have a good chance of a rejoin, but it does sometimes depend on which bit of the bowel and what they find. So fingers crossed!!