Rectum/prostrate cancer

• 8 replies
  • 162 subscribers

Hi everyone. Never done anything like this before, so bear with me..My husband had been diagnosed with with prostate and rectum Cancer, which is unusual in itselve. He has had a week's big blast of radiation, I was a little concerned about this as most people have six weeks of it. Colectomy nurse has told me it can be just as effective. Has any one else had just a week of it. Don't get me wrong We are happy he hasn't got to have six weeks. He will probably be scheduled to have an operation in a few months time. The radiotherapy was for his rectum cancer as the can't treat both cancer together. He is struggling at the moment as he just seems to spend half his time on the loo,can anyone tell me how long this well last. Any advice will be greatly received. 

• Hi 

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/treatments-and-drugs/radiotherapy-for-rectal-cancer

Firstly a big welcome to the forum . So glad you joined us . I have included a booklet for your info . You will see that it does refer to some people having a weeks course of radiotherapy as opposed to the longer sessions . Certainly seen others making reference to the same on the forum so he is definitely not alone .

The booklet also covers the side effects and timescales of recovery , I will also tag in  as she might be able to give you some more practical advice. Others might be able to assist as well .

Hope your holding up ok . Difficult for him having two primaries to treat but I take it they have given priority to the rectal tumour .

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi . Yes it does seem that some people are having a weeks intensive treatment rather than 5 weeks at the minute - maybe to cut down on the amount of time spent at the hospital under the current climate? Hopefully your hubbies side effects will start to ease after a couple of weeks when his Bowel’s have settled down a bit. Has he been given immodium to take? Make sure he stays well hydrated - I was given a couple of boxes of diarolyte to drink to replace lost salts etc. If he’s getting sore then baby wet wipes can be a bit more gentle then toilet paper and also a soothing cream like sudocream. Haemorrhoid cream can also be quite good if he gets really sore as it has an anaesthetising element.

I had a good response to radiotherapy - it shrank my tumour by 75% so everything crossed that it does the same for your hubby

Please keep posting and let us know how you’re both doing

Take care

Kardn x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hi Karen62.

Thank you so much for your reply. I am ringing nurse tomorrow to see if they can give him some diarolyte. He is eating a little but everything comes through him. I brought some better haemorrhoid cream and he is using wipes. Glad to hear you had a good result for your radiotherapy. Can I ask have you had an operation to remove your cancer? 

• Hi . Yes I has a low anterior Resection in November 16, a temporary Ileostomy, chemo then reversal mar 18. If you click on my name then it will take you to my profile page which shows my ‘journey’ although I think most people’s are a bit more straight forward! 

Has your hubby completed a medical exemption form? It entitles him to free prescriptions for 5 years (if he doesn’t qualify already) and you can get it from your doctors

Take care

Karen x

• Hi Karen. Just read your profile. It sounds horrendous, you have been through alot. My husband doesn't pay for prescription as he is 69. They are concerned he will not be able to have a reversal if he has an op because he has heart failure and they don't think going through too ops will be good for him. I think we are both struggling with the fact he will have a bag, even though I am a carer myself. Could I have some advice. I am currently of work with anxiety because I am worried about him, as I feel his immune system will be low, would you advice me to stay of while he is recovering from his radiotherapy. 

• Hi . If he has to have a bag then I’m sure he will manage. The thought of it is often more daunting than the actual practicality of it. My mum knows a lady in her 80s who has one and has a totally normal life and my friend who was diagnosed same time as me who’s in her 50s has a permanent one and has been on a cruise, flown to New York etc. Also a reversal is a much smaller op so if he recovers well from this one then they may look at it further down the line. I don’t think there is a time limit for a reversal - I had mine for 15 months but was talking to a lady on a Moving on from Cancer course who’d had hers reversed after 5 years.

Should you stay off work? That’s a difficult one under the current climate. Did your hubby have chemo tablets alongside his radiotherapy as I think they are the ones that might potentially compromise his immunity? Perhaps you could give the nurses on here a ring on 0808 808 00 00 and ask their advice as they will be up to date on current guidelines.

Hope things start to improve soon

Take care

Karen x

• Hi Karen 62.

Thank you again.