Hello, new here!

• 6 replies
  • 164 subscribers

Hi Everyone,

its my first time here, and I just wanted to say hello with the hopes of reaching out to people who might be going through a similar thing to me. 

I had a rectal polyp, which was assumed to be benign removed last month, which turned out to be malignant. Things have been a bit of a whirlwind since then, I had the initial diagnostic tests, which luckily showed no spread. Treatment options then seemed to be a choice between “watch and wait” (as they weren’t sure if the whole tumour was excised when the poly was removed), TEMs procedure to remove the scar from the poly site, or APER which would have left me with a permanent colostomy. We (I was involved) decided on the TEMs which I had in Saturday. I won’t get the histology results for a couple of weeks, so back in the limbo of waiting for test results now, but the surgeon seems fairly confident that there’s no cancer left. 

This has all happened so quickly, and I admit that I’m feeling really anxious and like my head is spinning. I have a 2 year old, and am only 41, the thought of having a permanent colostomy is utterly unbearable to me, though it’s not coming to that at the moment thankfully. 

I’m not sure what I’m asking all of you! Has anyone had similar experience and could tell me what to expect now? My biggest fear is that the cancer isn’t all gone, or that it comes back, and I don’t know where we’d go if that happened, therapies or the permanent colostomy option? My surgeon is very good, but his bedside manner leaves a bit to be desired, and he doesn’t offer me much reassurance! Doesn’t anyone have any mechanisms for coping with the fear and anxiety, especially when you have a toddler who you can’t fall apart in front of?

I’m really grateful to have found this group, and would love to chat with anyone who can find the time. 

Thanks, best and safe wishes to you al Xxx

• Hi and a warm welcome to the board from me. Yes it’s a whirlwind of appointments, scans, meetings etc. isn’t it? And now the waiting begins I’m afraid. I’m sure they will keep a close eye on you with regular checkups and you’ll become accustomed to the term ‘scanxiety’. I’m going to tag a couple of people in who are on watch and wait afte4 having a good response to treatment and they may be able to share some top tips with you and

Meanwhile feel free to post or join in one of the monthly catch up threads

Stay away from google and just take things one step at a time -worrying about ‘what ifs’ will wear you out and take over your life. If your daughter is anything like my granddaughter then I’m sure she’ll be able to distract you and make you smile.

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hi  yes Watch and Wait is a very good option if no evidence of disease after treatment and you are watched very very closely .. and I am very fortunate to be still clear nearly 3 years after diagnosis with watch / wait  ..when do you next hear ? Hopefully the complete removal of the polyp will be enough, even if malignant, if there is no spread ? Xxxx all my love Annie thanks for the tag Karen .. this new system still outfoxing me Joy

• I had a polyp removed from my sigmoid by EMR but they seemed to think that they hadn’t got all of it and that the incision site had cancer cells - the only option given to me was a LAR . So from the info you’ve given it does sound positive . ( I’m not sure yet if I will end up with a colostomy I find that out when I awake from surgery) have you got a colorectal Nurse who you could chat to ? I find they are very knowledgeable and friendly 

• Thanks so much for the message Annie! I opted for the surgery instead of watch and wait, as it was only TEMs at this stage, so quite minor. I will still be having close monitoring, just not as close as if I hadn’t had the surgery. They haven’t been able to find any cancer since the original polyp was removed, the surgery was to make sure that there was nothing microscopic remaining. I’m still waiting for the histology results on that, a tense 11 days later. That’s amazing and so encouraging to hear that you have responded so well to treatment and been clear for 3 years! Do you mind me asking what stage you were and what treatment you received? Thanks again for your support Xx

• Hi that’s great that you had that option to just have a TEM as often it’s a full APR .. fingers crossed for the results! Xxx Annie 

• Hello, I have the TEM surgery soon. Can I ask how you were after the surgery and any tips you may have for recovery?

I hope that your results came back to you as hoped.