Total pelvic exenteration for rectal/anal cancer

• 20 replies
  • 166 subscribers

So two days ago i finally got the news. Till this time i was preparing mentally for APR surgery with colostomy, but now my surgeon says that it would be better to do total pelvic exenteration with two bags. So i was wondering that would anyone with experience in this help me? Like what are complications of surgery, how is life with two bags, how much recovery time after surgery, how frequently is urostomy bag changed and life in general. I am just 24 years old and it really feels like a Armageddon here. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you. 

• Hi 

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_types/bowel-colon-rectum-cancer-forum/f/new-here-say-hello/203540/expectations-when-going-home-after-total-pelvic-exenteration-surgery

I have included a previous thread you might find helpful . Hopefully others will pop on and share however  has been incredibly helpful to previous members to prepare for surgery . I have tagged him in and if he is free he will pop on and assist you 

Reducing some of the fear is really important and having insight from others really helps .

You are incredibly young to face this but we are here to help you .

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Thank you for taking your time out and helping me.  And yes i also sent him a text, hopefully he can help me too. 

FORTIS.
  • Hi ,

I will tag in  ,  and . As well as they have all had some experience of relatives or themselves .

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you for your help

FORTIS.
  • Hi Court,

I messaged Fortis. I hoped I helped set his mind at rest a bit.

Thanks for mentioning me to him.

I pick up my guitar and play, just like yesterday
    Then I get on my knees and pray I don't get cancer again.
  • Such a help to this forum . One of life’s givers . Thank you .

Court 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Fortis 

I have messaged you 

• Hi Fortis 

I can’t seem to private message you. 
    I’m sorry your having to go through this at such a young age but I will tell you about my Dad. 
    My Dad had a TPE over 2 years ago now and he’s doing brilliant back to his normal life and everything he used to do. 
    It is a massive operation but it can save your life. After the operation it is tough and my Dad did feel very down after it and it does take it out of you and the recovery is long but you do get there eventually and you will get back to everything you used to be able to do. My Dad was back playing golf after a few months. 
    It’s very daunting and for you to go through this at such a young age and must be terrifying for you but you will get through it guitarman gives some great advice and he is living his life to the full and it doesn’t stop him. Have they give you a date for surgery? Good luck with it all but least you will be cancer free. Danni 

• Hi there,

I have just joined so am new to this.

I had a the TPE operation at the end of January for a colorectal tumour which had returned following TEMS surgery last summer. I didn’t really have much time to think about things as my operation was pushed through very quickly at St Marks. So really two weeks before the operation I had never even heard of TPE. After an 11 hour operation I spent 3 weeks in hospital and am now continuing to recover at home, the first week and half in hospital was spent learning to walk again. (My sciatic nerve was damaged during surgery). I’m managing ok with the bags but my biggest problem is the sciatic pain which could take months to repair itself.

Have you had the op now? I’m happy to share my experience.

Thanks

• Welcome to the forum . Gosh that was very sudden for you . Sounds as though you are coping well despite quite invasive surgery .

That was so thoughtful of you to offer to share your experiences.

Take care and keep on healing .

Court 

Community Champion Badge