operation

• 2 replies
  • 130 subscribers

I have been diagnosed with rectal cancer 3 weeks  ago it is so far down it is just near my anus. I’ve been told having the rectum removed is my best option with potential chemo after. I’ve also been told that bringing my colon down probably won’t leave me with the best quality of bowl control or it may not even be possible as there is very little for them to join the colon too. I now face having. a permanent colostomy (sorry if this is the wrong terminology) 

It’s so much to take in & I am trying to be brave. Can anyone shed some light on the operation & life after

Abbi

• Ileostomy, colostomy and stoma support

Hi Abbi, the group above may be the one to look at for your answers on life after the op. I've not started my chemo yet. Any cancer diagnosis can be a real shock initially (try not to google!) I try not to think about it too much as I am in the hands of professionals. Lots of people on here so you are not alone. As you say, try to be brave and live your life.xx

• Hi

there is also a anal cancer forum on here which my help too. What stage are you? Why straight to the removal of your rectum?