Critical illness cover

• 3 replies
  • 130 subscribers

Hi, has anyone obtained critical illness cover after surgery for cancer removal? I’m assuming it’s impossible until years later but just wanted to see if anyone has managed it. 

• I had surgery 8 1/2 weeks ago. My partner and I have Worldwide Family Travel insurance as part of a package (along with car breakdown and phone insurance) with my Bank (it's a Bank of Scotland Platignum Vantage account, £22.50/month ). I'm 73 and the cover is good as long as you're under 80.

I got diagnosed after a colonoscopy in June and had surgery 19th July. There was no issues with the biopsy (lymph nodes) or the CT scan so they consider me in remission, though obviously I will continue to be monitored.

I had holidays previously booked for 31st August (Austria, walking), December (Madeira) and March (Austria, skiing). When I spoke to my insurers they told me that as these were booked before my diagnosis they weren't pre-existing conditions and I was covered already.

For future holidays I was offered pre-existing condition cover for my treated cancer and my hay fever(!) for about £170 for 12 months cover. I was then able to book another ski holiday for January.

The end of August walking holiday (6 weeks after surgery) went OK, though I did buy a new lighter hold suitcase to ease lifting.

So, yes, I does seem possible to get insurance after surgery, though it's not that cheap.

• Sorry, I misunderstood your question. Travel insurance for a pre-existing condition isn't Critical Illness Cover.

• Hi  I’ve no advice I’m afraid but wondered if it might be worth posting on the Financial Expert page?

Ask a Financial Guide 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm