After operation

• 4 replies
  • 131 subscribers

I had part of my bowel removed, high anterior resection July 5th. I'm still having problems going to toilet, can be very painful. Also I have a pain in my rectum which is there most of the time. Is this normal? Will everything eventually settle?

• Hi  Have you tried ringing your colorectal support nurse and they may be able to help with your issues?

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Yes I have. I just wanted to know if other's had a similar issue 

• Obviously best to get advice from the colorectal nurses and/or consultant.

I had the same op 7 1/2 week ago (19th July). Passing stools is different from what I had before, maybe because I no longer have some of the rectum. I think there are still changes happening and I may now be changing to a more familiar habit.

I have been passing thinner stools, usually one at a time and I seem to need to 'recharge' and go several times in the morning. Often I keep feeling 'full' and ready to go between times. I would say I have had discomfort rather than pain, but other people think I am just insensitive.

I have been taking a small dose of lactulose (15ml/day) to soften my stools and avoid constipation: this was on the recommendation of a friend who also had the same op before me.

• Thank you, that's very helpful Blush