Rectal bleeding following ascending colonectomy

• 9 replies
  • 129 subscribers

Hi, I has a colonectomy a week ago tomorrow for cancer in my ascending colon. I've been home a couple of days. I'm now having bright red blood following a bowel motion. I know I also have haemmeroids and have had blood like this off and on for some time.

Has anyone experienced this? Is it something to worry about?

The thought of spending hours in A&E unnecessarily is pretty daunting.

• I think if the blood is bright red it's much more likely to be the piles, especially if you've had this before. Rather than going to A&E perhaps you could contact your colorectal nurses?

• Hi  I was told to contact the ward that I was in with any issues within 2 weeks of my op so you could also try that and get advice from the consultant when they do their rounds? 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thanks Karen062,

I called the Colorectal nurses and she suggested A&E. When I mentioned about haemmmoroids she back tracked and was a bit vague. 

The thought of sitting for hours on a hard chair waiting to be seen is too much to contemplate.

I'm just keeping an eye on it. Feeling okay and very little discomfort. Just trying hard to regain an appetite. Being vegetarian on a low residue diet is tricky.

• Thanks Kakadu,

That's my thought too. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see how it goes. I have spoken with a CR nurse. When I mentioned piles she backtracked on the A&E line. 

• Two weeks now post op. How am I supposed to feel? I'm still struggling with appetite and lack of energy. How have others been following this surgery?

Maybe my expectations have been too high but I didn't expect to feel so tired after a short walk or friend's visits. Am I unusual?

• Two weeks after major surgery is a very short time. When I asked how long it would take me to recover, the surgeon said in 6 weeks you'll be 90% recovered. And when I asked about the other 10%, he said that takes a year or two! I think you need to just take things as easy as you possibly can for the next couple of weeks at least.

Good luck x

• Thanks Kakadu, that's really helpful. That's quite a long time isn't it. I think I need to review my expectations. Thank you Blush 

• Hello Curlycarole, As Katadu says, 2 weeks is a very short time but you should feel improvements week on week. From my own experience, rest as long as necessary when tiredness overwhelms but try to move about often e.g.up and down stairs, short walks and even gentle aerobic movements. I also found that drinking some water often and having small varied plain fresh meals e.g mash, cooked courgettes, plain/chicken soup etc helped. Suggest some, but not ttoo much, seedless fruit for a while (best to peel fruit such as apple and pears). Most important to CHEW WELL and eat slowly. Be guided by a dietician or diet sheets you may have. Don't force and try to avoid constipation (water and a small amount of prune juice daily helped me). On medical advice, I took daily a DulcoEase tablet and occasionally a Movicol sachet to ease passage and reduce risk of constipation. Both are very gentle and I found effective. However important that you check with your contact nurse/doctor before arming yourself with these or other which can be bought over the counter at any chemist. I am now nearly 18 months post major colon cancer surgery and for many months have been eating a normal mixed diet.

Best wishes. 

• Thanks Anbou,

I've been the opposite in that I've had very loose stools, several times a day. Thankfully the haemmeroids have now stopped bleeding with the help of a sitz bath. I guess I thought I'd be feeling more like normal by now but I'm finding the diarrhoea quite exhausting. Fingers crossed it'll soon improve. I'll contact thd nurses on Monday if there's no change.

Brilliant that 18 months later you're eating normally.

All good wishes x