Referral pain?

• 4 replies
  • 130 subscribers

Hi everyone I'm after some advice please? My husband has stage 4 bowel cancer which has spread to his lungs he was diagnosed 2 years ago now had chemo radio and 1 lung resection currently off treatment but hes getting really bad pain in 1 of his testicles he's recently had an ultrasound scan but it didn't pick anything up he keeps being told its referral pain but does anybody no what exactly is referral pain? Does this mean his cancer is spreading? He didn't have this pain in the beginning. I feel like it's gotta be something he's in agony with it and he limps it keeps him up at night he's having about 4 baths a day as this helps abit.

Any help appreciated please Pray 

• Hi GemD84 Welcome to the forum and sorry that you have not had a response as yet. I dont know enough about your query except to say that referred pain tends to be pain that is radiating to an area of the body from somewhere else so this could be coming from the Bowel surgery site if that makes sense or indeed the lung surgery . It is to be hoped that this settles soon for him as he cant go on putting up with that level of pain. Pain tends to follow nerve pathways and this could be any one of his surgeries or indeed chemo that has set things off for him.  I had referred pain from a problem with my back and it was my legs that were the issue but the actual pain was in my back but the pain was following the nerve pathway and my leg nerve pathways were involved almost like sciatica. Once my back was sorted out the pain  receded almost completely.

Im not sure if that has been of any help at all but he does need to keep an eye on that and go back if it does not settle.    

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Hi  

You could ask his team to refer him to a pain clinic . They are often ran by anaesthetists and they can look into controlling the pain better for him particularly if there is any nerve involvement .

Hope he gets a solution . 
    Court

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Thank you were at the hospital tommorow so will ask 
  • Thank you for your reply hes not had bowel surgery but I'm guessing it could be where the tumours pressing down on nerves and thats why the pains where it is. We're at the hospital tommorow so will see what they say