Picc line clot and Folfox side effects

• 1 reply
  • 129 subscribers

My other half has had 1 cycle of Folfox and had such bad side effects. We expected vomiting and tiredness but the worst was the vomiting, migraine, terrible confusion and disorientation and not being able to find his words or speak properly which scared me as I thought he was having a stroke! This went after 24 hours but his head was still foggy for next few days.
They have done an MRI and there is evidence of an “episode” in the brain which must have been caused by the chemo according to the oncologist. It’s extremely rare.
Has anybody else had this? They are not sure if he can continue with chemo? What’s the alternative? We can’t see oncologist until Monday.
He also now is in blood thinners as has a clot in his PICC line. Can you still have chemo through a picc line with a clot?
Anybody experienced this?

• Hi  and I’m sorry to hear that your hubby has had such a tough time with the folfox. I have heard of people developing clots during chemo but I can’t remember if it was while they had a picc line or not? I developed lung clots during one of my hospital stays and I’m now on blood thinners for life but still had a picc line and chemo once I’d recovered

Hope todays meeting gives you some answers and please keep us posted?

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm