Diarrhoea and wind

• 3 replies
  • 130 subscribers

Hi my husband had a stage one tumour removed and resection last July which sWas found on routine scan as was going into hospital to have oesophageal tumour removed. He had both ops at same time. He is still suffering with a lot of diarrhoea and dreadful wind. He has received well from oesophageal op, although he has been very unwell. We did not think that the bowel op would be so much of a problem as it was caught so early. Has anyone else experienced bowel problems a year after removal of tumour please? He I’d not have a stoma. Thankyou.

• Hi  

It sounds like you and your husband have had a hard time recently.

I'm not a member of this forum but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about your husband's diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi  and I’m sorry we missed your post - it’s been quite busy on the board at the minute.

I think everyone who has bowel cancer surgery experiences problems afterwards but things do tend to settle down over time. Was your hubby’s tumour quite low in the bowel? The removal of some of the bowel can cause food to move through more quickly and this can result in diarrhoea. I’ve attached links to a couple of booklets from the bowel cancer uk board which may help

https://bowelcancerorguk.s3.amazonaws.com/Publications/RegainingBowelControl_BowelCancerUK.pdf

https://bowelcancerorguk.s3.amazonaws.com/Publications/Bowel_Cancer_UK_Eating_Well_V4.1.pdf

Does he take loperamide/immodium? These should be taken 30 minutes before eating and up to 8 a day but start small so as not to get constipated. It’s also worth keeping a food diary to see if there’s a particular food or drink that’s causing more of a problem?

Hope you’re able to find something that helps in the above information

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thank you Karen for your reply, it’s very helpful. We were getting a bit worried. X