Huge growth seen on Colonoscopy

• 3 replies
  • 131 subscribers

Hi all my name is Lee 44 M

i have just come back from my colonoscopy and the operator found a large bleeding polyp in the lower part of my rectum 

he took biopsies but said no need to wait for results he’s booking me in for an MRI and CT scan 

the thing looked absolutely awful on the monitor with black bits in it so it’s 100% cancer 

today I’m exactly 13 months clean from drink and drugs and just grateful I don’t have to use today to suppress these feelings 

very scared and anxious but I have got loads from reading the threads on this forum just thought I would give a little back and make myself vulnerable PrayHeart

• Welcome to the forum   . So glad you joined in .

Sorry to hear about your current health hurdles but we are absolutely here to support you through this . Bowel cancer is well treated . But everyone here has been impacted one way or another so we understand this initial staging needs lots of support .

Very well done on staying clean for 13 months . You have come a long way and here’s to many more good months and years going forward . 

It’s had making yourself vulnerable but no need to worry here . We are a good group .

Take care ,

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the board from me. Yes I remember seeing a bleeding blobby mass on screen and saying (in my semi sedated state) ‘ooh that doesn’t look very good’. They told me straight after that they were 99% sure that it was rectal cancer and the next few weeks was a whirlwind of scans, bloods, meetings etc. Once the results are back then the MDT will meet and decide on a treatment plan for you and things will honestly feel a bit better then.

Bowel cancer is notoriously slow growing and very treatable. Size is not an indicator of ‘seriousness’ (mine was 4cm) but the scans will check if the tumour has grown into or through the bowel wall and if there is any spread to other organs. 

13 months clean is a brilliant achievement and shows your strength of character. The next few months will be tough and you will need to draw on that strength again but you also have us behind you now and we’ll help and support you through this.

Stay away from google - it can be scary and out of date - there’s lots of posts on here and, if you click on peoples names, then their profile page may show you their treatment to date?

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hi  

I hope that you find this forum continues to give you support in months ahead and lots of virtual hands to squeeze if things feel tough.

Many people find the diagnosis part the most unsettling and that things improve for them once a treatment plan is known.

Congratulations on your 13 months of sobrity. What a wonderful achievement and proof of your own strength.