Chemo treatment

• 39 replies
  • 131 subscribers

Do people always get bad side effects with the first treatment of folfirinox?

• No not necessarily. There’s no way of predicting which side effects or to what extent someone will be affected. He will be given anti sickness meds and anti diarrhoea meds but I’m afraid it’s a case of wait and see? Side effects can accumulate as each session progresses but the nurses will keep a close eye on him. It’s helpful to keep a bit of a diary as a reminder of any side effects and also he might find that the first couple of days after the pump are the worse then any side effects improve towards the end of the cycle? x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thank you it's his first on this coming weekend and I am struggling a bit x

• I know it’s worrying for you but sometimes the reputation of chemo is worse than the actual event? All you can do is see how it goes and remember that his first one is in hospital so they’ll be making sure that he has no adverse reactions x

• He is worried about neuropathy do lots of people get it.

• Neuropathy is a common side effect so he needs to keep his hands and feet well moisturised. Tell him to tell the nurses if his hands or feet start to feel hot or like pins and needles. Neuropathy can cause permanent damage but if he alerts them early enough then they might tweak his dosage to counter this?

• Do neuropathy socks work?

• I don’t think they would prevent neuropathy as it’s caused by the chemo getting right to the nerve endings and causing damage. Some people find it disappears after their chemo stops. I still have feet that feel like they’re permanently sunburnt - hot and numb - but it doesn’t affect my everyday life. If he discusses his worries with the nurses then they may be able to give him some tablets to help? x

• Ok thanks for getting back to me 

• Been today told us what to expect on Friday nothing too scary. Been to Weston park what a place to find and no parking we got a place at the side of the road eventually . His brother is taking him in on Friday 

• Oh glad that what you’ve been told is not too scary. I think all hospital parking seems to be a nightmare. Have they offered him a free parking permit for when he’s having his chemo? I know it doesn’t help finding a space but you can avoid the hefty charges x